TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dyno day in Houston

moabman

Dan suggested I post this in a separate topic, so....

Just got back from the dyno day at DynoJoe's in Houston. Joe (Duh - DynoJoe) and Doug (Bama chips) were both there as well as Cody from Baton Rouge (sorry Cody, I forgot your shop's name in Baton Rouge ). I had a lot of fun. Everyone was really nice and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and answer our questions.

ggl's GT500 was first up. This car is a monster. The Whipple 3.4 blower is huge but Joe had it fitting nice and neat under the factory hood AND strut tower brace. It is really quiet - there's a faint audible whistle as WOT starts. The car is amazing. It was really hot (hello - August in Houston, what do you expect?) in the garage (100+ a ton of humidity) and they didn't break 700 RWHP but they didn't miss by much. ggl was kind enough to take me for a ride after the tune and it is a very special car. Neck snapping acceleration but still very streetable.

Second was a beautiful S197 GT from Louisiana. Ruf would approve of the sleek black coupe. It put down 305 at the wheels - not bad considering the temperature was soaring and we were sweltering in the garage. Joe went out to buy more fans and we appreciated the evapo cooler that he bought. I didn't think that a evaporative cooler would work to well in this humidity but I was wrong! Everyone clustered in front of it.

Third was Eric's 04 jet black Cobra. The 32 V monster was beautiful sitting between the wheels. This car wouldn't cooperate, however, with voltage spikes randomly occurring. Despite these problems, I saw a 400+ show up after one of the pulls.

Finally - it was time for my car. I wasn't expecting much as far as peak HP. Doug was great and I asked him to tweak his tune and make as much torque as low as possible. We did 4 pulls and he did end up slightly improving the tune he sent me a month ago. I think that's more a testament to his canned tunes than his skill at individual tunes - the 93 octane torque tune is a very good tune. He was able to wring out about 5% more torque through the 2500-4000 rpm range. For you peak number types, mine came in at 276 rwhp and 310 ft lbs - not bad considering my mod list is a little short on the go side of the equation.

The only bad part is that I really want a blower after riding in ggl's Saturn V Shelby GT500

Forgot to mention that the wheel unbalance mystery on my car is solved! . It's the tire pressure sensor. When I went from the stock GT rims to the GT500 rims we couldn't get the bands to fit. We finally used 2 giant wire ties to strap them on. They worked fine until the high wheel revs during the pull. The tire pressure warning lite came on and then went to a tire pressure sensor fault warning. I also heard a clanking coming from the left rear wheel when I pulled into the garage. The sensor is just falling around inside the tire, banging into the rim occasionally

I had mentioned my sensor install setup to ggl and DynoJoe and they looked at me like I was crazy and they are right :hysterical2:

moabman, 276 rwhp sounds great, especially considering that most stock S197 GT AT's are in the 245-255 rwhp range (about a 16% driveline loss from the 300hp at the crank). 276 rwhp sounds like roughly 328hp at the crank, and considering the heat you mentioned, your car is likely stronger than that with better air temps. And the torque translates to about 370 lb ft at the crank, so that's mighty stout for a naturally aspirated GT.

I've never dyno'd my GT, but sure would like to. I can only impute my car's rwhp from the multitudes of drag racing passes I've made this summer. HP is a function of torque applied over time and is calculated by knowing how long it takes to move a known weight over a known distance. Based on age-old formulas, I've deduced that my car makes 275 rwhp on average at the dragstrip when it is in the mid 70's outside. On hot/humid days it drops about 10-15 rwhp. Haven't run in cool air yet, but I'm hoping there's 10-15 rwhp to gain when it gets chilly at the track!

Thanks for sharing the dyno numbers. It's great to see them and compare and get an idea of how our cars respond to certain mods.

Those are corrected for climatic conditions using the SAE formula. The numbers did surprise me but I was really interested on how fast Doug could get it to build torque. I think his tune did that very well within the constraints of my setup. I was over 300 ft lbs at 3450 which is about as good as I can expect. (that and the 3.73s got me one car length on a coupe with 3.55s and twin turbos :happy feet: until the turbos kicked in and then it was all over :redcard: )

Congrats on the numbers Mark. Sorry I had to leave early, but I had other obligations. Also, it was really hot in there, and those of us who work inside tend to wilt in the heat of the day. We went to the track on Sunday, but it was shut down most of the day due to people blowing oil all over the track. Waited around for about an hour and a half. I need to work on my shifts, so I will be back and forth to Baytown for the next few weekends.

Remember the graph from your original pull? Mine looked a lot like that. The main difference between my curves and yours are your cams. Up in that RPM range is where those lobes really strut their stuff. If I were going to race my car, that is definitely the way I would go. It doesn't look like I will be seeing much track time in the car due to the roll cage - convertible issue so instead, I'm looking for mash and go grunt. The 3.73 gears have helped a lot and I probably should have picked 17" wheels instead of 18" wheels. The best help, however, will come when a twin screw blower is perched on top.

Congrats on the numbers Mark. Sorry I had to leave early, but I had other obligations. Also, it was really hot in there, and those of us who work inside tend to wilt in the heat of the day. We went to the track on Sunday, but it was shut down most of the day due to people blowing oil all over the track. Waited around for about an hour and a half. I need to work on my shifts, so I will be back and forth to Baytown for the next few weekends.

Did you read my post about the tire pressure sensor coming loose during the pull? :doh:

Do you know who owns the white S197 GT coupe and is packing a twin turbo in our area?

Remember the graph from your original pull? Mine looked a lot like that. The main difference between my curves and yours are your cams. Up in that RPM range is where those lobes really strut their stuff. If I were going to race my car, that is definitely the way I would go. It doesn't look like I will be seeing much track time in the car due to the roll cage - convertible issue so instead, I'm looking for mash and go grunt. The 3.73 gears have helped a lot and I probably should have picked 17" wheels instead of 18" wheels. The best help, however, will come when a twin screw blower is perched on top.

Ahh....the BLOWER :hysterical2: :happy feet: :hysterical2:

Did you read my post about the tire pressure sensor coming loose during the pull? :doh:

Do you know who owns the white S197 GT coupe and is packing a twin turbo in our area?

I did hear about the tire sensors. Funny that it happened about an hour after we talked about it. Did your sensor break and do you need a new one?

I don't know about the twin turbo, is it in the neighborhood, or did you see it at Joe's?

BLOWER??? WHIPPLE??? SALEEN??? I anxiously await your response.

Joe worked up some numbers for me on the Saleen; it is used but a lot cheaper. Kenne Bell & Whipple are also good units with high thermal efficiencies. Dan has also managed to add another blower - the Eaton TVS modified roots blower - into the fray. So many blowers; so few intakes :hysterical2:

Geoff - The twin turbo Mustang was on Kingwood Drive last night. BTW something new in your garage?

Hey Man this is Cody from Stang-Hi Performance, I met you at the Dyno Day...I just registered on this forum. Glad to hear it was the wheel weight, I knew something let loose after the 1st pull!!!

Hi Cody - Are you rehydrated yet? It wasn't the wheel weight, it was the tire pressure sensor inside the wheel. The GT500 rims have a bigger barrel circumfrence than the stock GT rims so we couldn't reuse the bands that hold the sensors on. Instead, we strung two wire ties together and secured the sensor that way. Worked fine until we really spun them hard during those pulls. I'm sure I never spun them that fast on the ground.

So, you double shure I'm going to like the Saleen? :hysterical2:

Joe worked up some numbers for me on the Saleen; it is used but a lot cheaper. Kenne Bell & Whipple are also good units with high thermal efficiencies. Dan has also managed to add another blower - the Eaton TVS modified roots blower - into the fray. So many blowers; so few intakes :hysterical2:

Geoff - The twin turbo Mustang was on Kingwood Drive last night. BTW something new in your garage?

I will be on the lookout for the twin turbo. Yes, my wife was thrilled to pick up her new BMW yesterday. I was less thrilled with the payments I will be making.

Archived