TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is stangsunleashed.com skewed heavily toward Shelby products?

Five Oh B

Don't get me wrong, I love this website and I love all Shelby Mustangs old and new. However, there seems to be a huge shift in this website being all about Shelby Mustangs with very little mention of any other Mustangs (with the exception of the Rufstang). I find myself not coming here much anymore and on to other websites that cater more to the S197 GT's.

The GT500 owners on this website are great. The Shelby info on this site is great. The Shelby Mustangs are great. But, with a URL like StangsUnleashed.com, I was hoping there would be more regular Mustang happenings going on. Seems like much of the posting in the 2005+ Mustang section is from GT500 owners, which is cool, but why are there so few regular V6/GT owners posting here? I'm just plain perplexed.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get me wrong, I love this website and I love all Shelby Mustangs old and new. However, there seems to be a huge shift in this website being all about Shelby Mustangs with very little mention of any other Mustangs (with the exception of the Rufstang). I find myself not coming here much anymore and on to other websites that cater more to the S197 GT's.

The GT500 owners on this website are great. The Shelby info on this site is great. The Shelby Mustangs are great. But, with a URL like StangsUnleashed.com, I was hoping there would be more regular Mustang happenings going on. Seems like much of the posting in the 2005+ Mustang section is from GT500 owners, which is cool, but why are there so few regular V6/GT owners posting here? I'm just plain perplexed.

I side with Five Oh B on this one. This site is heavily Shelby biased and very little info is avail for us regular GT guys. I basically come here because of the people. I post on other sites that don't focus on just one type of Mustang, a true Mustang enthusiast site. Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers with my comment but I call it the way I see it.

I side with Five Oh B on this one. This site is heavily Shelby biased and very little info is avail for us regular GT guys. I basically come here because of the people. I post on other sites that don't focus on just one type of Mustang, a true Mustang enthusiast site. Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers with my comment but I call it the way I see it.

We could use some more info comming from people like yourself, FiveOh B and Ruf. The more the better. I'm interested in all stangs and I read from many of the diff sections.

That said my main interest lies with the GT500 and whatever parts & equipment that applies to it.

The suspension is one of those areas that is similar on all the new stangs .It's all good to me but I can see what you mean there doesn't seem to be very many of other stang owners visiting and posting here. It certainly isn't because they are not welcome here. In fact as long as it is a Ford it is of interest and welcome .

We could use some more info comming from people like yourself, FiveOh B and Ruf. The more the better. I'm interested in all stangs and I read from many of the diff sections.

That said my main interest lies with the GT500 and whatever parts & equipment that applies to it.

The suspension is one of those areas that is similar on all the new stangs .It's all good to me but I can see what you mean there doesn't seem to be very many of other stang owners visiting and posting here. It certainly isn't because they are not welcome here. In fact as long as it is a Ford it is of interest and welcome .

Obviously if one owns a GT500 then that's where their main interest will be (no pun or disrespect intended). For that this site is awesome. You have a GT500 you come here, you have a regular GT you can find other sites that are more accomodating or have more support. It's not that us regular GT guys are not welcome here, it's there isn't a whole lot of tech support or info on the regular Mustangs. We have a few members here that know their stuff when it comes to modding a regular GT but the vast majority of members on this site own GT500's. It's just a fact.

Anytime a GT question is asked, it get answered with pretty good tech info. I hear what Five Oh is saying, but on the otherhand I have asked questions about my GT and I allways get great support. This site rocks.

I guess this is just the way Stangsunleashed evolved? Many of us early Members flocked to this Site because it didn't have many Flamers against the GT500. We were amongst friends!

It was the first and only Site, except for maybe Brad's, that provided new information all the time. Most other Sites did not do this. The Forum was (is) so helpful and had (has) great Comradry.

By default, it filled a niche that most of us waiting for our Shelbys needed. This is why it is what it is... :headscratch: ...?

Obviously if one owns a GT500 then that's where their main interest will be (no pun or disrespect intended). For that this site is awesome. You have a GT500 you come here, you have a regular GT you can find other sites that are more accomodating or have more support. It's not that us regular GT guys are not welcome here, it's there isn't a whole lot of tech support or info on the regular Mustangs. We have a few members here that know their stuff when it comes to modding a regular GT but the vast majority of members on this site own GT500's. It's just a fact.

I agree with 07 shelby cobra about how and why this site has evolved to being mainly GT500 owners. There was just too much bashing about the GT500 before it even came out on some of the other sites so this site has become a place to go to get info without the nasty remarks from previous Cobra owners. Now that the car has been out for a while the bashing has subsided but the bonds have been formed.

That said..........

Is it a lack of tech support or simply a lack of feedback and/or questions from other reg stang owners about their cars like we get here from GT500 owners ?

If you guys do some interior mods or suspension mods or even outside cosmetic changes I'm sure it would interest all here.

Alot of things on the reg GT can be applied to all Stangs and therefore can be of interest to everyone after all the basic car is the same except for the engine & trans.

What do you guys think is needed for this type of participation to improve here ?

I agree with 07 shelby cobra about how and why this site has evolved to being mainly GT500 owners. There was just too much bashing about the GT500 before it even came out on some of the other sites so this site has become a place to go to get info without the nasty remarks from previous Cobra owners. Now that the car has been out for a while the bashing has subsided but the bonds have been formed.

That said..........

Is it a lack of tech support or simply a lack of feedback and/or questions from other reg stang owners about their cars like we get here from GT500 owners ?

If you guys do some interior mods or suspension mods or even outside cosmetic changes I'm sure it would interest all here.

Alot of things on the reg GT can be applied to all Stangs and therefore can be of interest to everyone after all the basic car is the same except for the engine & trans.

What do you guys think is needed for this type of participation to improve here ?

The entire tone of this site, from its design (just look at the forum layout) to it sponsors, is geared towards gt500 owners. So that's who it attracts. The only way you could really hope to attract non-gt500 owners is to shift the site overall that way, which would potentially negatively impact the way the existing members who are gt500 owners feel about it, and likely show little or no gain for some time.

You'd be fighting your own reputation.

Basically, for a website like this to be successful, it needs to specialize. There are a lot of general mustang forums out there, but not as many "gt500" specific ones. That's a lot of what makes this place work. It's a niche site. Take that niche out, and your competition increases dramatically. Sure you hit a wider market, but if they're mustang owners who are online, they probably already found a site that suits them. Getting them to switch here would be difficult enough, getting them to do it when you had gt500 members posting who would probably feel "slighted" for getting pushed to the background, and I think you have a bad combo.

You're not going to get a lot of "expert" posters about the 4.6 or 4.0 unless you gear the site towards them with features & sections made for them. More then a single general "S197 Mustangs" section. It kind of goes back to the idea of the Off Topic forum title being "GT500 offtopic". If it's offtopic, it's not anything about gt500's by definition, so why have it there? Why have it in the gt500 area at all? But the idea of putting it anywhere else offended a lot of people. Why? But to any newcomer 4.6 or 4.0 owner, not familiar with the site, that "GT500 Offtopic" forum title definitely comes across as still somehow being for GT500 owners, and it actually discourages posting. Yes, just by the title of that forum, it discourages new members who don't own a GT500 from posting in that forum. Even though it's "offtopic".

It's the little things of site design like that, along with the broader ideas of this being a niche site, that will keep it as a 95% gt500 site, with a few posters like Ruf, Pup, me, etc posting here either regularly or occasionally for the company of the people, while getting our solid info on our cars & engines elsewhere.

That also points to the danger of the drama that flares up here occasionally, which is a guaranteed way of driving off non-gt500 owners. Because it's the people who keep us here, when there's drama & angry posts, it doesn't leave us with much.

Wow, that was long-winded and rambling.

- Tony

Tony

I like you're constructive criticism of this site.

However this is the only place that we as GT500 owners want to go.

I have been on SVT power web site and I just don't like how they talk.

This site maybe should add more places for regular gt owners and that is fine with me as I also have a 1968 coupe.

I just don't see the owners of regular mustangs coming here for information.

I also have to go else ware for information on my classic.

It seems to me that we GT500 owners paid way to much for our cars but we don't care.

Since we bought then anyway. and if we go anywhere else we just get flamed for doing it.

I personally like everyone here even those with regular mustangs.

I am not to sure that that chevy guy is a little lost in the head though. :hysterical2:

Art

Tony

I like you're constructive criticism of this site.

However this is the only place that we as GT500 owners want to go.

I have been on SVT power web site and I just don't like how they talk.

This site maybe should add more places for regular gt owners and that is fine with me as I also have a 1968 coupe.

I just don't see the owners of regular mustangs coming here for information.

I also have to go else ware for information on my classic.

It seems to me that we GT500 owners paid way to much for our cars but we don't care.

Since we bought then anyway. and if we go anywhere else we just get flamed for doing it.

I personally like everyone here even those with regular mustangs.

I am not to sure that that chevy guy is a little lost in the head though. :hysterical2:

Art

I'm not really suggesting changes. I don't see it changing, but then I'm not sure it should. My point was something along the lines of "If it were to change for that goal, it could stop succeeding where it has, and end up with little value"

Certainly I don't think you gt500 owners should go elsewhere.

- Tony

:read: I had a "86" 5.0 GT and didn't even have the web for info back then when I bought it new so for me only owning one GT500 and currently no other mustangs is good for me here. I actually heard about this site through the forum at Shelby and started posting here and been here ever since!happy%20feet.gif

This site is really great. I came here looking for early pre-info on the California Special. It was the only site that had the info. Then the spy photos came out. Wow was I excited. Then every week a couple spy videos would come out of the GT/CS. Pic's of the unique interior colors then came out. I gathered the infomation and went to the dealer to order the 1st GT/CS in this area. They had never even heard of the car.

That GT info was so very importand for this GT owner. I bet the same thing happens when the other special GT's come out. Can you say Bullitt or Mach I or Boss. Those GT's will be on Robert's Radar I am sure. I can't wait for all the early info and spy photos on those GT's.

The site then got me hooked on the GT500 ! :)

So my point is, that I get to enjoy the best of both here....with the best people. Thank you Robert and Sharon for everything you do for our Mustang site.

Rob

Grabberscars026.jpg

Hi Brian,

As a couple of old BON supporters we have both seen the pendulem swing from a very high SN95 Mustang content to the S197 and now we see a high Shelby content. Next year it will probably start to swing toward the "next feature Mustang" assuming that it will have a new drive train so that people can start the mod learning curve all over again.

I suspect that in part it also has to do with the age of the S197. Since its release most every mod has been tried and published in the mag rags so people that are interested in improving their car already know what works and doesn't and they don't feel the need to share or seek other input.

Your input over these many years has been invaluable to hundreds if not thousands of people. Some of those people are still here and others have moved on. So my friend don't be discouraged that the pendulum is for the moment swinging in a different direction, afterall it always returns to center.

David

Brian,

I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that part of the reason for this is that there are more rabid Mustang fans as a % of the total who go after the "specialty" Mustangs like GT500s, Boss, C/S, etc....than is true for "base" Mustangs. In other words, I'd say if you could somehow measure "rabidness", the AVERAGE GT500 owner would score higher than the AVERAGE base Mustang owner. Please don't take this wrong.....I'm sure there are some base Mustang owners like yourself that are every bit as rabid as the GT500 folks...which is why I capitalized the word average above.

Only time will tell...but I would guess that once the Boss is out you'll see as many Boss folks as GT500 folks. Of course another factor is how many they produce of each. For example, the traffic in a KR thread will likely be lighter only because fewer people own or could own them.

I can say one thing. It is never my intention to exclude any car aficionado. I'm not just talking Mustangs here...I'm talking any make. Although some friendly rivalry is probably healthy (GM vs. Ford for example), I don't berate those who like other makes...even the Japanese cars...so long as they are good people and enjoy their cars in the same automotive spirit that I do.

Of course you know I have a '69 Camaro...so you probably could have guessed I felt this way.

Dave

Brian,

I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that part of the reason for this is that there are more rabid Mustang fans as a % of the total who go after the "specialty" Mustangs like GT500s, Boss, C/S, etc....than is true for "base" Mustangs. In other words, I'd say if you could somehow measure "rabidness", the AVERAGE GT500 owner would score higher than the AVERAGE base Mustang owner. Please don't take this wrong.....I'm sure there are some base Mustang owners like yourself that are every bit as rabid as the GT500 folks...which is why I capitalized the word average above.

Only time will tell...but I would guess that once the Boss is out you'll see as many Boss folks as GT500 folks. Of course another factor is how many they produce of each. For example, the traffic in a KR thread will likely be lighter only because fewer people own or could own them.

I can say one thing. It is never my intention to exclude any car aficionado. I'm not just talking Mustangs here...I'm talking any make. Although some friendly rivalry is probably healthy (GM vs. Ford for example), I don't berate those who like other makes...even the Japanese cars...so long as they are good people and enjoy their cars in the same automotive spirit that I do.

Of course you know I have a '69 Camaro...so you probably could have guessed I felt this way.

Dave

You callin me AVERAGE?...... :waiting:

Well, it dawned on me after reading everyone's response that I should have seen it coming when I bought just a "base" GT. The exciting max-performance models are attention getting, and thus they drum up more talk. Like 00Vert54X mentioned, he and I spent a lot of time at Robert Lane's "other" Ford website (Blue Oval News) for several years when we were waiting for (and later driving) our 2000 Mustang Spring Feature GT's (option code 54X). I had a coupe 54X and he had a vert 54X. Not many knew what the heck that car was and subsequently only 3,901 were built/sold. Blue Oval News knew what the car was - spy shots, insider info, advance info, etc. But then along came more exciting Mustangs (Bullitt, Terminator, etc.) and the 54X's fell by the wayside, along with the other GT's and V6's.

I bought a 2003 Mach 1 new in late 03 and I admit that I became an elitist snobby kind of guy. I stopped posting everywhere except www.Mach1Registry.com as that website catered very, very specifically to 03/04 Mach 1's. Founder, Dave Wagner, runs a great website, but it is not for the average Mustang owner. When I traded in my Mach 1 for the 07 GT, I posted comparisons at that website about the pro's and cons of the Mach 1 versus the S197 GT. I was flamed so bad for my defection to the "other" side that I left and haven't been back. That was rather painful as I had contributed a lot of early info in the spring and summer of 2002 well in advance of the 03 Mach 1's production, and I answered lots of Q&A's for newbies, then I was kicked to the curb since I didn't have "the" Mustang of interest at that website.

Just hoping us little guys don't get squeazed off of this website. I really like this website and the people at this website so much, but I'm finding less and less relevant info for my particular model of Mustang with each passing day. I've been searching trying to find Mustang sites with plenty of people working on the same types of mods and racing that I'm doing or planning on. Some websites have very stale info with the latest posts reaching back many weeks or months in some threads, so the trick has been finding websites with a lot of members who post regularly, who just happen to have a very similar car to mine.

One of my employees has an 07 Mustang V6 (manual). He road races it at the local track where I drag race. He is in the same boat trying to find a website for the V6 crowd. His primary "home" Mustang website is Brad's, and that's where he's most comfortable. I still feel most comfortable here, hence the reason I've opened up the question about the Shelby bias here.

It's already been mentioned, but the ordering of the forums, the header at the top of the page, the number of posts, etc. all demonstrate that this website evolved into a Shelby website. The URL used to be www.theGT500Source.com and I suspect that URL still transfers here, but the main URL reads www.StangsUnleashed.com which would lead an outsider to believe the site is about Stangs in general, not just one specific kind. If I were to suggest any single change here, I would suggest changing the main URL back to www.theGT500Source.com to reflect the reality of the current state of affairs here. At least then an outsider or first time visiter would expect to see a lot of Shelby content instead of a wider variety of Mustang content that the current URL implies.

Just my two cents. Sorry for rambling (it's what I do best).

Five oh :

I like to hear what you have to say wehther or not you have a Shelby or a Mustang G.T You have contributed to this forum more than we can put in words .Ruf is another person who contrbutes to this forum wehther or not he has a Shelby, Mustang or Nissan he is made welcome by all the members which make this site the best bar none.

Thanks, 001!

I can say without hesitation, that I've never had one comment from any Shelby owner about me not driving one. Ever. To the contrary, I've been made to feel like a real supporting part of the site. (Shoot - Snoop, Co-Pilot, Alloy Dave and wife, Badboy and family, and next week SadSack and friend have all gone out of their way to visit us here in Washington - I'd call that special)

I've been treated as an equal and with respect. If I hadn't - I'd not be here.

I can prove it. Read through Ruf's Garage thread.

Members with V6's - GT's - no Mustang at all - Vette owners - and Shelby guys/gals all interact respectfully.

I was also a member of Mach1Registry. I enjoyed my time there.

But this site, regardless of how many forums are Shelby-driven, has given me so much pleasure.

Five-Oh- very articulate and well said! You're one of the pillars of this site.

And - we're outta beer.

post-4913-1187403957_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1187403957_thumb.jpg

Thanks, 001!

I can say without hesitation, that I've never had one comment from any Shelby owner about me not driving one. Ever. To the contrary, I've been made to feel like a real supporting part of the site.

I've been treated as an equal and with respect. If I hadn't - I'd not be here.

Oooh! Oooh!! Can I be the First Bryan?!! :happy feet:

I've been reading this thread and all the good thoughts trying to figure how do you get more S197 GT (or other) owners to visit here and post here.

I think structure is part of it as Brian/5.0 and Tony/Kraeger point out. When the off-topic are was put in GT500 it did not make sense to me either. It's a subtle point Tony made but still valid, imo.

What sets this site apart for me is the quality of the people -- while the age range is very wide there's a level of maturity (tho sometimes it takes on unusual forms <lol>) that separates it from other sites. Maybe it's that good folks, attracted here for whatever reason, tend to stay because of the good folks already here.

If that's the case, how do you get more S197 GT owners to want to be here? Probably, by having more S197 GT owners here who are willing to interact and answer /ask questions. So it seemed like critical-mass thing to me.

Then I realized I don't even have a mustang, so why am I here anyway -- yeah, yeah, a lot of folks wonder that ;-) -- and what it comes down to for me is loving these cars and being able to discuss them with other like-minded folks who make interacting enjoyable because they are fundamentally good people. By and large the folks on this site are long on giving, long on sharing and short on attitude ...not too many of the other major forums can say that, imo. If the folks who came to Dearborn are any indication, the quality of the people here is largely unrivaled elsewhere.

I guess when the Boss comes out it will be interesting to see if a whole 'nother arena within the SU community develops for the Boss like it did for the GT500. I think it will. If so, why here? I suspect it will be because Robert & Co will be on top of breaking news and that will attract interest and click-thrus and many will stay as much for the quality of the people here as for the content -- just like with the GT500.

Maybe if SU was here 12-18 months before the S197 came out it might have a real core community of avid S197 folks AND GT500 folks. If it happens for the Boss, it would seem that the dynamic is such that you have to be around when it first happens to have the 'gravity' to suck in interested folks who then stay if the climate is right. Still some structural changes that make the site more friendly to S197/GT/other interest seems like good thing, but possibly the S197 core-community train has already left the station ...for this site -- dunno..

The Boss should be a good test because the expectations for the Boss are high and the following is rich, just like for the Shelby -- the right fodder to engage waiting the enthusiast and, hopefully, have them enjoy their experience here ...and stay. I hope it will play out that way. There always more room for fellow enthusiasts with the right attitude, imo.

'Stangs rock!! Aveo's Unleashed? Nah... :hysterical: ;-)

Dan

Archived