TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question on HP rating for Shelby GT500

phr3121

I decided to raise this issue over here since there wasn't a response to the question on a previous thread. Anyone know the answer to the question below?

The issue has to do with how many of us who own a 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 and had it dynoed (stock) came short of the 500hp claim made by Ford.

Good point! Don't forget barometric pressure or how high above/below sea level you are.

What I would like to know is where Ford tested the 2007 Shelby GT500 engine and under what conditions to get 500hp. All cars in the US who advertise a hp rating get tested by an independent (neutral) company. I don't recall where I read that these tests are done for most US vehicles. The company claimed that for the majority of tests their results matched what the car company was claiming. By law, what the car company advertises as a hp rating has to be the true rating of the engine. With all variables taken into account, I don't see how anyone could have a new 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 with under 450hp.

Thanks.....

I think you will find it's pretty dead on. A lot of posts (on this and other sites) where many have dynoed their stock cars for a base line prior to modifications and they came in between 420 and 440 rear wheel hp. Thats probably a bit more that 500 HP at the crank. Ford's 500 HP rating is at the crank not rear wheels....This car also can gain 130 rear wheel hp with just a pulley change, cold air, tune and some exhaust.

I think Ford should be very pleased with the one.........I know I'm!!!

It's funny how a vast majority of your posts seem to serve only to :stirpot:

Show me one GT500 owner who has had their car "properly" dyno'd that has had corrected SAE hp under 425 (which would be an avg. 15% drivetrain loss from 500hp at the crank). There have been several shops that have proven themselves incapable of properly connecting the leads and have recorded low #'s. These same cars at other shops have dyno'd much higher.

All cars in the US who advertise a hp rating get tested by an independent (neutral) company. I don't recall where I read that these tests are done for most US vehicles. The company claimed that for the majority of tests their results matched what the car company was claiming. By law, what the car company advertises as a hp rating has to be the true rating of the engine.

I forgot to mention that these test where conducted on the engine only!

The tested engine was out of the car and strapped to a specific machine for testing.

I forgot to mention that these test where conducted on the engine only!

The tested engine was out of the car and strapped to a specific machine for testing.

I have had mine since Jan 07. I live in Fort Mohave AZ, one of the hottest places in the U.S. in the summer and winter. According to what I have read on net about how temperatures effect performance and h.p., every 10 degrees rise above 70 degrees, "most" cars will lose about 1 percent h.p. supercharged cars even more, so where I live when it's 115 plus, my h.p. loss is over 4 % at that temp. and when I drive the car in Jan/Feb. as compared to now August, there is a big difference in "boost" pressure and performance. 60=70 degrees in Jan/Feb. and when I drive the car to say San Diego area, car runs super strong, boost 7-8 psi. Now in hot, hot weather car lacks that quick response and boost is around 5-6. So, performance is directly related to where you drive and when you drive your car, regardless of what performance options you have or have not.

AZbud

Fort Mohave, hot as Hades, AZ

I have had mine since Jan 07. I live in Fort Mohave AZ, one of the hottest places in the U.S. in the summer and winter. According to what I have read on net about how temperatures effect performance and h.p., every 10 degrees rise above 70 degrees, "most" cars will lose about 1 percent h.p. supercharged cars even more, so where I live when it's 115 plus, my h.p. loss is over 4 % at that temp. and when I drive the car in Jan/Feb. as compared to now August, there is a big difference in "boost" pressure and performance. 60=70 degrees in Jan/Feb. and when I drive the car to say San Diego area, car runs super strong, boost 7-8 psi. Now in hot, hot weather car lacks that quick response and boost is around 5-6. So, performance is directly related to where you drive and when you drive your car, regardless of what performance options you have or have not.

AZbud

Fort Mohave, hot as Hades, AZ

Have a cool one Bud, October is just around the corner.

BTW, you are absolutely correct, mine is down on power but the tires are stickier.

phr3121,

When new engines today are certified for HP/torque they are monitored by an independant observer that must signoff on the setup of the engine to the dyno and he must also signoff on the actual runs. The certification sites are in a climate controlled facility and the engines are not in the cars.

Ford's 500 HP rating is at the crank not rear wheels....This car also can gain 130 rear wheel hp with just a pulley change, cold air, tune and some exhaust.

I think you’ve hit the "nail-in-the-head"! I think that’s where a lot of the confusion has started. People thinking that the 500hp claim is at the wheels. I too am very happy with my car. It is a "rocket-ship" even stock!

Have a cool one Bud, October is just around the corner.

BTW, you are absolutely correct, mine is down on power but the tires are stickier.

Can't wait for Oct. We have to make it through the monsoons, don't get caught out in one. I drove my GT 500 last Tuesday to Grand Canyon South Rim for the day. Left early a.m. really enjoyed the drive and had good opportunity to put my foot into it a few times. Was lucky, no dings from the trucks on I-40. Average freeway driving speed: 85 average mpg; 22.8. I am real happy with my car, hope you are the same, and try and stay cool too.

AZbud

07 Perf. white/blue strips stock with exception of Borla cat. backs, rear side window louvers, white side mirrors.

I've yet to see a stock dyno report that would not support the manufacturers 500 flywheel HP rating if a 15% drive lines loss is used. Many of the posted stock measurements would indicate that some GT 500s are above and in a few cases sig. above the 500 crankshaft mark.

Per our tour guide at the SVT Romeo Engine plant, All 5.4 S/C motors that come off the line fall between 511 to 517 HP at the crank, nothing less. Each engine has documented paperwork that stays on file with all the serial numbers of what parts went into your engine. I have have already asked about getting copies of this info, my request has to go thru many channels of management for appproval & then if they do approve it, they will only give out basic info on the motor like your tested HP when it came off the line. More to come later on your motors after Alloy Dave gets home & types up the notes from the Q & A session we had during the tour. hope this helps answer your question

Per our tour guide at the SVT Romeo Engine plant, All 5.4 S/C motors that come off the line fall between 511 to 517 HP at the crank, nothing less. Each engine has documented paperwork that stays on file with all the serial numbers of what parts went into your engine. I have have already asked about getting copies of this info, my request has to go thru many channels of management for appproval & then if they do approve it, they will only give out basic info on the motor like your tested HP when it came off the line. More to come later on your motors after Alloy Dave gets home & types up the notes from the Q & A session we had during the tour. hope this helps answer your question

I agree with this 100%. If Ford states 500HP you can bet it is that and a little more! Remember, most claims for HP have been stated as less for obvious reasons. Any OEM would rather be over, then to have anything less, as less will create negative feedback! I would say this car is rated at 500HP + on all stock motors! Again, just my opinion!

phr3121,

When new engines today are certified for HP/torque they are monitored by an independant observer that must signoff on the setup of the engine to the dyno and he must also signoff on the actual runs. The certification sites are in a climate controlled facility and the engines are not in the cars.

Thanks for clarifying that - should put doubts to rest. As far as I can recall American auto manufacturers always list hp at the crank...nothing new with the way Ford tested and rated the GT500.... :poke:

I think you’ve hit the "nail-in-the-head"! I think that’s where a lot of the confusion has started. People thinking that the 500hp claim is at the wheels. I too am very happy with my car. It is a "rocket-ship" even stock!

phr3121 - glad to hear you like your GT500 - post us a pic of that bad boy and have you done any mods yet?

phr3121 - glad to hear you like your GT500 - post us a pic of that bad boy and have you done any mods yet?

:idea: Run down to Southern Hills today and get a pic with Tiger.... :hysterical: ..his caddy has one you know...Tiger won it but there's something about that Buick sponsorship thing. Too bad for him :hysterical2:

:idea: Run down to Southern Hills today and get a pic with Tiger.... :hysterical: ..his caddy has one you know...Tiger won it but there's something about that Buick sponsorship thing. Too bad for him :hysterical2:

:hysterical2: No thanks! It's 105 out today and I'm not much of a golf fan anyway..... :reading:

I went to the Romeo Engine Plant tour on Thursday with a great bunch of GT500 owners and had an awesome time. One of the questions asked was the HP rating of our motors, I was told by Mel ( my engine builder) that all the motors have 515-517 hp. Hope that helps, now I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 at the crank with my EVO Stage 1. :headspin:

Had mine dyno'd stock for a baseline. Came in at 425 HP and 420 TQ. It was a 92 degree day and 60-70% humidity. Altitude here is about 725. Wanted a baseline before I started the modifications. So far only Corsa axle backs. Getting ready to do stage 1 and then on to Stage 2. :headspin:

Since I'm a fake user, I'll say what everyone else is afraid to:

"phr, prove you actually own a GT500 by posting a pic of you w/it because you always stir up so much negative stuff about the car that we all feel like you are a closet Z06 lover!"

Here you go guys!!!!!

2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALLY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

Ford Shelby GT500 officially rated at 500 horsepower, 25 horsepower higher than preliminary estimates

The Shelby GT500 will go on sale this summer with more horsepower than any previous factory-built Mustang

DEARBORN, Mich., May 2 - The most powerful factory-built Mustang ever just got even more potent. Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500’s 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce 500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque - 25 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

“With 500 hp and the Shelby name, this car is an instant legend," said Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation & SVT programs. "This is the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever."

The Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.

The 500 hp rating was obtained using the Society of Automotive Engineer's latest standard and was witnessed by an objective third party. The Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 will be built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 was auctioned for $600,000, with the proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 goes on sale this summer.

Technical Specifications

Type V-8

Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan

Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler

Exhaust manifold Cast iron

Crankshaft Forged steel

Throttle Body Dual 60 mm, electronic

Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm

Pistons Forged aluminum

Connecting Rods Cracked forged steel I-beams

Ignition Coil-on-plug

Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm

Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc

Horsepower 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)

Torque 480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)

Compression ratio 8.4:1

Redline 6,250 rpm

Idle Speed in Neutral 750 rpm

Engine control system Spanish Oak PCM

Required fuel Premium

Fuel Injection Electronic returnless sequential

Oil capacity / type 6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Coolant capacity 21 quarts

Peak Boost 9 psi

May 1, 2006

Come on phr... just one pic, you & your car. It's a Forum rule! :finger:

Since I'm a fake user, I'll say what everyone else is afraid to:

"phr, prove you actually own a GT500 by posting a pic of you w/it because you always stir up so much negative stuff about the car that we all feel like you are a closet Z06 lover!"

:hysterical: I like that CoolWater, you are a straight shooter!

The fact is I don’t own a digital camera (yet) and don’t have any pictures of me and the Shelby GT500 to show. I thought the question might have some "hidden" meaning myself. Than again, what is the picture going to prove? How will you know it’s me or my car?

Anyway, I do own a white on red (coupe) 2007 Ford Shelby GT500.

Bought it from Al Piemonte Ford, Melrose Park, IL, in June of this year.

VIN: 1ZVHT88SX75344072 (* not pulled from eBay motors either!)

Plus, I didn’t know I was stirring up negative stuff about the car! I love the car and the performance. Questions I’ve raised had to do with hp at the wheels (440hp) and possible modifications. Either way, like I mentioned many times before, I’m keeping my car stock as the day it was made....I could have gone the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 route but don’t like the looks. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 has everything I want in a "muscle" car (well it could loose a little weight!).

Cheers..... :party:

Archived