TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does this Dealer Know What He's Saying??

TopCat501

OK, hopefully someone can shed some light on this "issue" for me.

Finally I nailed a deal a month ago that was acceptable to me. In order to do this I had to solicit a small dealer 170 miles from me. I crossed all the t's and dotted the i's via phone and fax. I have everything in writing specifing price, 1st allocation and even a return of deposit if FORD won't give them a GT500.

I'm thinking, OK, now all I have to do is wait. So I wait a week and then start asking when the DORA is coming. My salesman doesn't know what a DORA is. He will have to ask the GM because he "handles" the ordering and all that stuff. Finally after forcing myself to be patient and only calling my salesman 1 time each of the last 3 weeks I get this response today.

I just asked him and he told me that he is waiting on Ford to give him the okay to put the order into the system. He said that as soon as they tell us we can place the order then yours will go in. He asked them about just putting it in there and was told if he did and it sat there long enough that it would just be kicked.

The "him" is the GM. So does anybody know if this is true. I think it isn't, but man oh man how would I ever convince my dealer. Mind you this is a President's winner dealership. But I thinking it must be really small, small small. It's possible that someone at FORD gave them incorrect info about it kicking out if it gets stale.

Anybody in the "know" about this??

OK, hopefully someone can shed some light on this "issue" for me.

Finally I nailed a deal a month ago that was acceptable to me. In order to do this I had to solicit a small dealer 170 miles from me. I crossed all the t's and dotted the i's via phone and fax. I have everything in writing specifing price, 1st allocation and even a return of deposit if FORD won't give them a GT500.

I'm thinking, OK, now all I have to do is wait. So I wait a week and then start asking when the DORA is coming. My salesman doesn't know what a DORA is. He will have to ask the GM because he "handles" the ordering and all that stuff. Finally after forcing myself to be patient and only calling my salesman 1 time each of the last 3 weeks I get this response today.

I just asked him and he told me that he is waiting on Ford to give him the okay to put the order into the system. He said that as soon as they tell us we can place the order then yours will go in. He asked them about just putting it in there and was told if he did and it sat there long enough that it would just be kicked.

The "him" is the GM. So does anybody know if this is true. I think it isn't, but man oh man how would I ever convince my dealer. Mind you this is a President's winner dealership. But I thinking it must be really small, small small. It's possible that someone at FORD gave them incorrect info about it kicking out if it gets stale.

Anybody in the "know" about this??

My dealer also told me the same thing; Ford had to give them the go ahead to place the order for my GT500. My dealer punched in the order one day, Ford "picked up" that order the next day and a day after that I had a build date and vin. This was at the tail-end of the '07 run.

While it won't kick an order, and we can submit orders as many as we like(our last 06 Ford GT order just got "kicked" a few months back), maybe they just don't want to get pulled on more than they want?

Our dealer tends to put as many orders of vehicles as they want to have show up, and then let Ford pull stock orders from there.

Top Cat.

If your dealer has an alotment, he should be able to place the order. Mine did. DORA stands for Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement, and that is how the factory double checks the order. The order is entered by someone at the dealership and then submitted to FORD. Ford creates the DORA as a document to send back to the dealer for the dealer to check and see if the vehicle is ordered correctly. The order will sit in the system untill the dealers alotment is pulled, if he has one.

When the order is first entered into the computer from your dealer, a VOC is generated. (Vehicle Order Confirmation) Once FORD accepts the Order....the DORA is generated. If there is no DORA.....The Order has not been placed. I know this for Fact as I have several friends with in Ford.

Like you I worked my deal via phone with a small dealership more than 200 miles away. They only got 1 GT500 last year and are not a PA dealership. They are only getting 1 GT500 this year also (that would be mine!). The owner (that's who I worked the deal with) took my order via phone and within 1 week I had my DORA and the VOC, I signed the Purchase Agreement and mailed it back the same day. I placed a follow up phone call to confirm that he had received all the paperwork, which he had. Now I'm just waiting on my build date! Not to mention waiting for my car!!! Just the beginning of a long long wait, I fear. So welcome to the club my friend and enjoy the ride!!

Mike

One more thing. The dealer can order 10 GT500's and get 10 VOC's but if they don't have an alotment, then the factory will not create a DORA. If the factory creates a DORA....they will get that car.

No DORA = No Order accepted by Ford.

The DORA is your peace of mind. Mine got lost by the dealer and they got me another one when I changed the color from Red to Grabber. If you make any changes, then a new DORA is sent out.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

GRABBER: Keep in mind that very few people at the dealership can hit the F4 submit key on the order. Did they show you the VOC ?

No, I haven't received anything from them and yes I trully believe they haven't placed the order.

Yeah, my salesman has no idea what a DORA or VOC is so I think the GM pretty much handles the F4 key and many more things I bet. But my salesman is a really nice guy. It was a pleasant experience doing the deal.

However I get the feeling I'm dealing with people that don't fully know their way around the FORD order process. FORD told him it might "kickout" the order so by God we better not do that (LOL). Well, my understanding is that not having a DORA will not affect the allocation date so I'm not going to argue the point with them. While I would like to have a DORA, I have a written contract with a cashed deposit so I feel like I have a car nailed down.

Goes to show that even though you try to cover all the bases, I never thought about a lack of knowledge about the order process by the dealer. :banghead::banghead:

Thanks everybody for the replies.

GRABBER: Keep in mind that very few people at the dealership can hit the F4 submit key on the order. Did they show you the VOC ?

No, I haven't received anything from them and yes I trully believe they haven't placed the order.

Yeah, my salesman has no idea what a DORA or VOC is so I think the GM pretty much handles the F4 key and many more things I bet. But my salesman is a really nice guy. It was a pleasant experience doing the deal.

However I get the feeling I'm dealing with people that don't fully know their way around the FORD order process. FORD told him it might "kickout" the order so by God we better not do that (LOL). Well, my understanding is that not having a DORA will not affect the allocation date so I'm not going to argue the point with them. While I would like to have a DORA, I have a written contract with a cashed deposit so I feel like I have a car nailed down.

Goes to show that even though you try to cover all the bases, I never thought about a lack of knowledge about the order process by the dealer. :banghead::banghead:

Does your witten contract give you an "out" if it takes too long for them to get an allotment? I assume they don't even know if they are going to get an allotment so at some point you might see another deal that is as good or better and if your dealer is still doing the "aw shucks, they just haven't given me the go ahead yet but I'm expecting it any day" routine, you might want to be able to walk away ANd get your deposit back. Of course if they know they will be getting an allotment, and you're a patient kind of guy, this is not such a big deal...I'd just be concerned if they don't know what a VOC and DORA is.

You need to school them up. Tell them this. :hysterical:

VOC means: Hi Ford Factory, I would like to order this car with these options and in this color.

DORA means: Hi Dealer, we the Ford factory got your order and we understand that you want the car made just like this DORA paper says, and when we get to your alotment, we will make it.

If you have no VOC and no DORA...you are not in the cue to have an order pulled period!

Also note that every week Ford sends out electronic print outs to your dealer telling them of the status of your car. That's how I got the dates listed in my signature. Once a week they should fax you that print out.

Does your witten contract give you an "out" if it takes too long for them to get an allotment? I assume they don't even know if they are going to get an allotment so at some point you might see another deal that is as good or better

Technically, I have no way to get out early and I can't know for 100% sure that they have an allocation for MY08 but they are a PA winner which means they will get 2 if they are enrolled in the program (meaning their 1st allocation should come before calendar 2008 rolls around).

I only have circumstantial evidence they are enrolled in the GT500 program (when I first inquired about a GT500 they offerred up a Red Stripe package that was due to arrive there in a week). Also my salesman told me about their earlier GT500 sale to a guy who trailored it home to the DFW area to get it "bubble wrapped" and stored in a warehouse for a couple of years before putting it up on Barrett Jackson for sale (LOL; to each their own))

But I must admit I am a little baffled by the dealer not wanting to put it in the order bank. I'm just chaulking it up to them not knowing the ropes so to speak. Sounds like my dealer handles things like post#2 from Chuck.

GRABBER, I agree with you that I'm at the mercy of this GM to 1) notice that FORD says he can order now and 2) remember to actually execute the order. I would have so much more peace of mind if they would just log it into the FORD system. I may have to go around my salesman (nice guy but not knowledge) and talk to the GM. I am 99% sure they are not scamming me so I just have to ask myself

why me? :banghead:

That's good info Grabber.

I should call my dealer and get an updated DORA that has the prices etc. on it.

Mine was generated prior to '08 prices being released and has none of the prices on it.

You can't order an "updated DORA". They will generate because of a change. Right before the build they will issue one with prices on it, but you are at Ford's mercy on that. I have mine with the prices on it and every electronic update for 5 months. I kind of know the drill. I went thru this on my wifes GT/CS also.....but that went smooth and fast as you can see from my signature.

VOC means: Hi Ford Factory, I would like to order this car with these options and in this color.

DORA means: Hi Dealer, we the Ford factory got your order and we understand that you want the car made just like this DORA paper says, and when we get to your alotment, we will make it.

Believe me I have tried. I have offically given up on being able to convince my salesman. My only hope is to educate the GM not to fear the FORD "kickout".

Here's my last few attempts. It's almost comical as I look at it now

July 17,2007:

I was wondering if you might be sending the vehicle order confirmation (VOC) this week. I will be going camping for 7-10 days after this week so I was hoping to get it before leaving. The VOC will also show pricing for each item won't it? Also, when do you think FORD will confirm the order? I've been told it's called a DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Affirmation ??)

July 20, 2007:

I searched for DORA on the FORD website and it found the following

DORA Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement A verification sent to dealers acknowledging each order placed with Ford

https://www.fleet.ford.com/glossary/default.asp

Apparently the DORA is given before the GT500 allocation is granted. So the order sits in the Ford order system until the GT500 allocation is granted. The DORA verifies that FORD has a standing order to build the GT500 at some point in time

Aug 1, 2007:

Hey David, now that I'm back I'm just checking in to see what the status is on the DORA. What did Delray say? Maybe you already sent an e-mail about it but I didn't see it. Thanks

Aug 9, 2007

Any word on the DORA

Today

David, here is a photo of an actual DORA issued on a 2007 GT500. I'm thinking the longer you wait to get a DORA then the further back in line I am in getting the car built

I lied in that last sentence in hopes they would place the damn order.

The response I got was the "kickout" excuse.

If I thought I stood a 50/50 chance I would drive down there in person and explain it over and over to them

If they really don't know how to order a car, their Zone rep could help them. The Zone rep could also find out when the allocation will get pulled. The zone rep can find out what Quarter it will get pulled. I became good friends with the NW Zone rep. and she told me all the inside stuff on these orders. In fact she is the one who changed my order for me when I switched colors and caused the new DORA to be printed.

Get the Zone rep involved if they are that behind.

Technically, I have no way to get out early and I can't know for 100% sure that they have an allocation for MY08 but they are a PA winner which means they will get 2 if they are enrolled in the program (meaning their 1st allocation should come before calendar 2008 rolls around).

I only have circumstantial evidence they are enrolled in the GT500 program (when I first inquired about a GT500 they offerred up a Red Stripe package that was due to arrive there in a week). Also my salesman told me about their earlier GT500 sale to a guy who trailored it home to the DFW area to get it "bubble wrapped" and stored in a warehouse for a couple of years before putting it up on Barrett Jackson for sale (LOL; to each their own))

But I must admit I am a little baffled by the dealer not wanting to put it in the order bank. I'm just chaulking it up to them not knowing the ropes so to speak. Sounds like my dealer handles things like post#2 from Chuck.

GRABBER, I agree with you that I'm at the mercy of this GM to 1) notice that FORD says he can order now and 2) remember to actually execute the order. I would have so much more peace of mind if they would just log it into the FORD system. I may have to go around my salesman (nice guy but not knowledge) and talk to the GM. I am 99% sure they are not scamming me so I just have to ask myself

Topcat,

I didn't mean to put the scare on you or anything. It sounds like you're probably dealing with honest ethical guys but they may not have a lot of experience ordering cars with this kind of demand. I've negotiated a lot of business contracts before so looking for out clauses and contingencies is natural for me and I apollogize if I've given you any additional grief on this...was not my intent.

Next time you do a written contract, be sure to put in some kind of contigency clause that allows you to walk away and get your deposit back while protecting you from worst case situations (i.e. seller is not able to provide product or guaranteed delivery date within xxx time period...that kind of thing). You don't want to go crazy with contingencies or the other party will never agree to it.

2 cents worth from a guy thats seen a lot of contracts for service :barf:

If you have no VOC and no DORA...you are not in the cue to have an order pulled period!

Also note that every week Ford sends out electronic print outs to your dealer telling them of the status of your car. That's how I got the dates listed in my signature. Once a week they should fax you that print out.

Grabber,

This is not 100% correct. My deal went down exactly like Topcat's dealer is proceeding. They had an allocation from Ford. They had a signed agreement for me to purchase the allocation (with consideration :spend: ). But they did NOT place the order until the regional rep told them their allocation was going to be pulled. From that time they had 1 week to place the order before they lost their allocation. That's why I had a DORA on Thursday night and a full VIN the next DAY (Friday) and the car was bucked 3 weeks later. I made my deal with them in June but didn't get a DORA until September. Got the car in October.

Just sounds like a small dealership doing things a bit different than the big city boys..... My .02 Flame suit on....

Topcat,

I didn't mean to put the scare on you or anything.

No, no it's cool. I appreciate the concern. On the surface, it does seem alittle fishy and I never thought about the fact I would have to wait until the entire MY08 was closed out to get my deposit back if they were being dishonest.

One thing was that I was just excited to finally get a $5k deal :happy feet: not too far away and just wanted to close the deal. In fact, when I insisted that the GM sign the purchase agreement my salesman said the GM never signed any of the MY07 agreements but he would ask anyway (he did sign the agreement :woot:)

Good advice that I'll remember next time when Ford comes out with the next great Mustang I want

Well, thanks to everyone for all the information and your own personal experiences. Because of this information now I know:

1) I'm not crazy for thinking that I should have received some paperwork by now; my salesman's "WHAT YOU TALKIN' BOUT WILLIS" routine started making me have doubts

2) two others have stated that their dealer handled the order the same way as mine wants to

BUT the preferred way to handle it is definitely just logging in the order right away and waiting for your allocation to come up.

Now I have to trust that my dealer won't screw up by NOT noticing that the allocation is ready to submit. Plus we'll have to rush around to make sure all the option are coded right before rushing the order into the system.

Well I guess I feel that I am 99% sure I will get a car. That 1% doubt is a killer though :wacko:

Grabber,

This is not 100% correct. My deal went down exactly like Topcat's dealer is proceeding. They had an allocation from Ford. They had a signed agreement for me to purchase the allocation (with consideration :spend: ). But they did NOT place the order until the regional rep told them their allocation was going to be pulled. From that time they had 1 week to place the order before they lost their allocation. That's why I had a DORA on Thursday night and a full VIN the next DAY (Friday) and the car was bucked 3 weeks later. I made my deal with them in June but didn't get a DORA until September. Got the car in October.

Just sounds like a small dealership doing things a bit different than the big city boys..... My .02 Flame suit on....

OK.

My dealer was a very small non PA dealer in a very tiny town by St Helens Oregon. In Oregon and Washington and Idaho and Montana (The pacific NW) things are not done that way. The Regonal rep for this area has 17 years with Ford here in the NW and I am just sharing what I learned from her.

I quess it's not a standard practice!

I can say this, ALL dealers depend on where, who, and how! I have a similar case going on. Ordered 6/15, no DORA, no VIN and every conversation or email was rather slow in coming and laid back. However, they took my 5K deposit, stated the car was ordered, and I just got word that my build week is the first week of September. All the while, no real doc's in hand. Just a word of a dealer 200 miles away, in a small town. You can drive them crazy, or yourself, but I guess at some point you have to hope all is going as planned and hope for the best. I just think some dealers are more savvy and know the system better, while other dealer place orders and get cars!! I wish you the same luck as I, and hope we both get the desired end result. :banghead:

OK.

My dealer was a very small non PA dealer in a very tiny town by St Helens Oregon. In Oregon and Washington and Idaho and Montana (The pacific NW) things are not done that way. The Regonal rep for this area has 17 years with Ford here in the NW and I am just sharing what I learned from her.

I quess it's not a standard practice!

If TopCat's dealer is in north-central or panhandle of Texas, it's likely the same regional rep as my dealership. I guess they don't all handle things the same way. It's kind of like the spelling rule "i" before "e" except after "c"; I can never spell "receive" correctly :doh:

When I first posted last September that my order was turned in and that I "received" :doh: my VIN and build date almost immediately; many people claimed that I was evil chris trying to :stirpot: Others simply said I was lying. I thought rpretzel was going to sick his ak47 kitty on me..... :hysterical2:

Oh well, TopCat.....rest easy. I think your dealer is shooting straight with you.

Since I have yet to Recieve a DORA or Partial VIN.. I called the GM

of the Dealership to Make a Minor Change and had him add the

ambient lighting to my order. He was concerned that making that

change would PUSH back when my car gets Scheduled. But I had

it done anyway and he told me Thursday that He made the change

last week.

I was pretty sure It shouldnt affect anything from things I have heard

on here from other members ??? Can anyone confirm that the timing

wont be affected?? Thanks :headspin:

Archived