TEAM SHELBY FORUM

285/35, as opposed to stock 285/40, rear tires for 08-GT500. Will that cause any problems, issues?

Skip600HP

I'm looking at possibly choosing the Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus tires for replacing my stock tires on my 08-GT500 BUT, they don't come in P285/40R18 for the rear (stock size rear). Closest I can seem to find, based on the Continental WEB side is 285/35 (not 285/40), so if I'm reading things properly that means the 285/35 will be a bit "less high" (shorter sidewall). Checking to see if that sounds right and if that's going to throw my speedometer off enough to require some kind of adjustment or cause any other problems, concerns, etc.

Next "step up" is 295/x and I'm assuming that will be a bit too wide for the stock, well KR, rims and stock wheel-well.

All thoughts * comments are welcome!

Going to a shorter tire , in addition to being shorter, also will have a lesser weight rating which is something you  will have to look in to. Obviously it will throw off your speedometer/odometer and make the car sit lower in the back and open up the fenderwell gap.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:37 PM, Skip600HP said:

I'm looking at possibly choosing the Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus tires for replacing my stock tires on my 08-GT500 BUT, they don't come in P285/40R18 for the rear (stock size rear). Closest I can seem to find, based on the Continental WEB side is 285/35 (not 285/40), so if I'm reading things properly that means the 285/35 will be a bit "less high" (shorter sidewall). Checking to see if that sounds right and if that's going to throw my speedometer off enough to require some kind of adjustment or cause any other problems, concerns, etc.

Next "step up" is 295/x and I'm assuming that will be a bit too wide for the stock, well KR, rims and stock wheel-well.

All thoughts * comments are welcome!

You can get the DWS06 Plus 295/35/18's which at 795 revolutions per mile is closer to the stock Goodyear's 285/40/18's 775 revs per mile than the DWS06 Plus 285/35/18 at 803. It will fit (I had 305's on my '07 without issue on stock wheels), look better and give slightly better performance with helping improve the high-side differential gear ratio that came with the stock '08 GT500 (3.31). 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:21 PM, Secondo said:

You can get the DWS06 Plus 295/35/18's which at 795 revolutions per mile is closer to the stock Goodyear's 285/40/18's 775 revs per mile than the DWS06 Plus 285/35/18 at 803. It will fit (I had 305's on my '07 without issue on stock wheels), look better and give slightly better performance with helping improve the high-side differential gear ratio that came with the stock '08 GT500 (3.31). 

Humm....a good point. I do have an entire second set of rims so I also could just put Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ on JUST the extra set of rear rims (they are available in P285/40R18, but nothing for the front size). Yea, the front tires will be a bit "hard" when the temps drop below 40, and that kinda would "match" nicer if I [in the future, when more $$ to spend is around) if I put Michelin Pilot® Sport 4 S's all-around., but at least that would give me traction in the rear when temps drop low and is where I start to notice the stock Goodyear F1's have about as much traction as a brick.

So net-net, tentative, plan could be:

• Michelin Pilot® Sport 4 S's all-around (on one set of rims)
  • Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ (on an extra set of rims for just the rear)

All thoughts/comments are welcome and encouraged.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, Skip600HP said:

Humm....a good point. I do have an entire second set of rims so I also could just put Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ on JUST the extra set of rear rims (they are available in P285/40R18, but nothing for the front size). Yea, the front tires will be a bit "hard" when the temps drop below 40, and that kinda would "match" nicer if I [in the future, when more $$ to spend is around) if I put Michelin Pilot® Sport 4 S's all-around., but at least that would give me traction in the rear when temps drop low and is where I start to notice the stock Goodyear F1's have about as much traction as a brick.

So net-net, tentative, plan could be:

• Michelin Pilot® Sport 4 S's all-around (on one set of rims)
  • Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ (on an extra set of rims for just the rear)

All thoughts/comments are welcome and encouraged.

I have both the 4S and AS3+ and I don't recommend them at all for cold weather driving, especially on a car with high-HP. They slide and lose traction easy when the temps dip below 50°F, especially the 4S's. The 3's are good above 40°F. They are both great summer tires, though. I am looking into Continental Extreme Contacts for all-season use. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:24 AM, Secondo said:

I have both the 4S and AS3+ and I don't recommend them at all for cold weather driving, especially on a car with high-HP. They slide and lose traction easy when the temps dip below 50°F, especially the 4S's. The 3's are good above 40°F. They are both great summer tires, though. I am looking into Continental Extreme Contacts for all-season use. 

Well, BUMMER. Any specific recommendations for just the rear in the factory, 285/40, size?

Nitto G2 come in pretty much all the sizes discussed here 285/40,295/40,255/45,275/40. Plus most of the Nittos are fairly available. Although you might have to wait a week or so. Also these are a summer tire by the way. My son has used a couple sets on his Mustang GTs (13&15) and they worked out well.I personally am looking at a set for my KR wheels in a 295/40 (rear) and  255/45 or 275/40 (front). 

1 hour ago, 2fords said:

Nitto G2 come in pretty much all the sizes discussed here 285/40,295/40,255/45,275/40. Plus most of the Nittos are fairly available. Although you might have to wait a week or so. Also these are a summer tire by the way. My son has used a couple sets on his Mustang GTs (13&15) and they worked out well.I personally am looking at a set for my KR wheels in a 295/40 (rear) and  255/45 or 275/40 (front). 

IMHO unless they are outrageously expensive, go for it with the KR wheels. I did years ago. The alcoa "look" but the same size (width and being 18" rims) and of course the center caps say GT500KR (little but NICE). Had them "sitting there", then low and behold Shelby Performance Parts liquidated all their KR tires ($400, shipping included, for 4 tires, 2-front, 2-rear). So I ended up putting new "KR" tires on the KR wheels! Also left me with entire original set of tires on the original wheels. I've needed to make use of 2 of the original tires that were on the original rims from punctures too close to the sidewall of the tire to plug/patch.

IMHO they are worth it. My main profile pic is the KR-Wheels w/the KR-Tires from the SPP liquidation. If I could figure out how to upload a local (on my PC) pic to a post, I'd add a pic here or under the "post your pics" thread. But all that seems to be available is post pics that are already on other media (Insert Existing Attachment just says I don't have any).

On 12/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, Skip600HP said:

Well, BUMMER. Any specific recommendations for just the rear in the factory, 285/40, size?

If it was me, I'd get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus in 295/35/18 (closest to stock size.) They are an ultra high performance all-season tire. The Nittos are summer rated and can't use them in colder temps. I'm trying those next as I've heard nothing but great things about them, even from people who have used them on a track.