TEAM SHELBY FORUM

dumb question of the day - rear license plate

mark8855

So my temp tags finally expired, so I guess I have to un-lazy myself enough to mount my rear plate. Is there any way to mount it without drilling holes or otherwise screwing up the rear bumper?

If I do have to drill holes, do I have to get special screws, or can I just use whatever pointy-tipped screws I can find laying around at home depot, etc? My old mustang has these weird square things mounted in the rear deck lid that the license plate screws into. I saw some at checker auto, but it looks like they would be difficult to install. I'd have to drill a large hole and file it square or something.

So does anyone have any ideas?

I couldn't find a way to mount the rear plate securely without drilling holes. I drilled out the dimples and used the factory mounting screws that came with the car. I used small rubber grommets behind the plate so it wouldn't scratch up the paint.

Oh, and I also saved all the plastic filings created when drilling the holes. Yeah, I know. I'm a freak. :headspin:

Oh, and I also saved all the plastic filings created when drilling the holes. Yeah, I know. I'm a freak. :headspin:

Yes you are! j/k

Mark, I placed masking tape on the dimples and then drilled the holes out starting with an ordinary 1/8" bit and stepped up progressively until I was at the right width for the factory screws. No big deal. Oh yeah and I stuck felt to the back side of my bracket to avoid scratching, but I'm a freak too! :hysterical:

I couldn't find a way to mount the rear plate securely without drilling holes. I drilled out the dimples and used the factory mounting screws that came with the car. I used small rubber grommets behind the plate so it wouldn't scratch up the paint.

+1

I did the same thing.

Saving the filings for a good bong hit! :drop:

Oh, and I also saved all the plastic filings created when drilling the holes.

What? You think that the cloning industry of the future will allow you to duplicate your car based on a few shreds of GT500 plastic??

:hysterical2:

What? You think that the cloning industry of the future will allow you to duplicate your car based on a few shreds of GT500 plastic??

:hysterical2:

Of course! All you need is one complete string of GT500 DNA. I'm going to have a whole slew of baby GT500s running all over the house. :hysterical: I'm storing the shreds in a small zip-lock baggie in my big book of Shelby stuff. My wife thinks I'm just a little strange. :tease:

So my temp tags finally expired, so I guess I have to un-lazy myself enough to mount my rear plate. Is there any way to mount it without drilling holes or otherwise screwing up the rear bumper?

If I do have to drill holes, do I have to get special screws, or can I just use whatever pointy-tipped screws I can find laying around at home depot, etc? My old mustang has these weird square things mounted in the rear deck lid that the license plate screws into. I saw some at checker auto, but it looks like they would be difficult to install. I'd have to drill a large hole and file it square or something.

i had mounting screws in a small manilla emvelope in the glove box. there was a bag for both the front and rear plate mounting. i did not mount the front plate though! to nice looking to drill holes there.

larry

Your car came with mounting screws? Where were they? I didn't see anything like that in my car.

Yep, you can do like I did and affix a piece of "Velcro" about 2" long by 1" to all four corners of the plate, clean the rear bumper good and attach the other side of the velcro to the car. I can't guarantee it'll stay but unless you launch like John Force or someone I think you'll be in good shape. Mine has been on since new. One more little trick is to cut the heads off of 4 large chrome phillips head screws and hot melt glue them to the tag and no one will try to snag your tag, especially if it's cool like mine or some of the others I have seen posted on this site. (mine is GT500 07) Good Luck.

giggle, giggle, giggle, :yup::yup:

Archived