TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Mufflers?

I have an 07 GT500 and have kept it almost stone stock--added the Ford Racing tune and cold air intake some years ago.  I've always wanted just slightly more aggressive exhaust note and a friend of mine says he has some KR mufflers for me.  My question is--are they the Bullitt mufflers or the FR500 mufflers?  I thought the Shelby GT's came with Bullitt mufflers and I like that sound, but what are the "KR" mufflers?

Thanks in advance!

07.JPG

22 hours ago, thewheelman said:

I have an 07 GT500 and have kept it almost stone stock--added the Ford Racing tune and cold air intake some years ago.  I've always wanted just slightly more aggressive exhaust note and a friend of mine says he has some KR mufflers for me.  My question is--are they the Bullitt mufflers or the FR500 mufflers?  I thought the Shelby GT's came with Bullitt mufflers and I like that sound, but what are the "KR" mufflers?

Thanks in advance!

The SGT’s came with a slightly different muffler from the Bullitt (GTA on Carroll’s vs GTB on Steve’s).  Both are a bit mild for my taste if you are sticking with stock system up to the axle back. The KR’s were developed for the 2008 / 2009 GT500KR. They sound great as do the Borla Atak. No drone with either - very important with a convertible!  (I have both, KR on my GT500KR hard top and Atak on my vert...and I love they way they sound with the top down). 

Edited by mfield2a

From the "sound" perspective (not loudness, but sound), Shelby also added an H-pipe on the 2008/09 GT500KR. The 2007-2009 (and I believe 2010 also) GT500 had a X-pipe in the system instead of an H. The X gives a more raspy European sound when the engine is revved and the H gives a more deep tone muscle car sound. I don't know what difference that will make when using the KR mufflers, but I would assume there is a difference or the X would not have been replaced with an H at Shelby.......

Here is an original Shelby "clamp-in" H that was used in conjunction with the GT500KR mufflers......

006.jpg

^^^^^It fits directly into the position where the X was cut out.

R

Edited by Robert M

I swapped out my Borla Touring mufflers that came with the 40th package and went with the KR mufflers. I still have the stock x-pipe and the Borla cat back. The KR mufflers sounds great with an increased volume over the Touring mufflers. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, oldlugs said:

KR muffs are the same as FR-500S mufflers. The Bullitt  mufflers used the same tips only - but a much larger, heavier muffler can that has an oval profile. If you do go for the KR mufflers, don’t forget the “H” pipe. 

I've been trying to figure out a way to get the cool "SHELBY" tip covers on a pair of KR mufflers......Has anyone done this?

005.jpg

R