TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hello and a question

Ditch

Long time lurker and previous 350 owner here.

Considering a 2007 GT with very low miles. My only issue..and I certainly don’t mean any disrespect; has anyone made the hood scoop functional?

I really hate non functional anything. 

Thanks all.

A number of people have made their scoops functional, me included.  A number of years ago a Team Shelby member created hood scoops that were used to make the scoop functional.  There were only a limited number of them made and I got the last one.  The 2007 hood scoops had issues with warping.  Those issues were resolved with the 2008 scoops (I have a 2008 SGT).

There may be some on this forum who used their 2007/2008 factory hood scoops and made them functional.  Perhaps one or more of them will chime in.  Good luck.

Jim

Again, no disrespect to my friend Jim, but what makes anyone think opening it up is at all "functional"?   

For me, for something to be functional, it needs to provide a clear benefit and as far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no benefit to a bunch of wind and debris flowing into the engine bay and brings the potential for headaches and other issues. IMHO!

I suppose while you are at it you could cut the rear quarter panels and the fake break ducts and make those "functional too.  Though as I think about it, on the track they just might be!  

As I always say do was you like, but maybe consider buying a clean and simple 2008 Bullitt?

Good luck!

Hey Ditch, just my two cents worth.  I’ve thought about making my scoop functional, but decided against it for the sole purpose of keeping it totally stock.  But, I will say anytime you can ram colder air into your engine compartment it’s a win / win situation.  Forcing colder air in and hotter air out of your engine compartment keeps your engine running a lot cooler , just saying!   And as far as the 07 /08 Shelby Mustang GT goes, there one of the “Best Bang for the Buck” performance cars that are currently out there!   J.M.O.     :peelout:  P.S.  Simply put, it’s your car, your money and of course your decision!      :shrug:

Edited by Mongoose

17 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Ditch, just my two cents worth.  I’ve thought about making my scoop functional, but decided against it for the sole purpose of keeping it totally stock.  But, I will say anytime you can ram colder air into your engine compartment it’s a win / win situation.  Forcing colder air in and hotter air out of your engine compartment keeps your engine running a lot cooler , just saying!   And as far as the 07 /08 Shelby Mustang GT goes, there one of the “Best Bang for the Buck” performance cars that are currently out there!   J.M.O.     :peelout:  P.S.  Simply put, it’s your car, your money and of course your decision!      :shrug:

Excellent points...thank you

On 8/13/2020 at 2:44 PM, JeffIsHereToo said:

Again, no disrespect to my friend Jim, but what makes anyone think opening it up is at all "functional"?   

For me, for something to be functional, it needs to provide a clear benefit and as far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no benefit to a bunch of wind and debris flowing into the engine bay and brings the potential for headaches and other issues. IMHO!

I suppose while you are at it you could cut the rear quarter panels and the fake break ducts and make those "functional too.  Though as I think about it, on the track they just might be!  

As I always say do was you like, but maybe consider buying a clean and simple 2008 Bullitt?

Good luck!

Thank you for the input!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry have been busy and not on.   Contrary to what you might think is common sense just throwing "cold" air, which really isn't cold, into the bay isn't always good thing.  These are not cars of the 60's.  These are carefully designed and calibrated cars that are made to perform well under a set of expected conditions.  You change any of those in an appreciable way without knowing the implications and allowing for any broader incremental adjustments that are needed, and you are taking a risk.  We had owners do just as you are describing who had stall issues. More air is not always a good thing!  For example; the Boss 302 doesn't have an open air filter and when asked Ford engineer said that there was not performance advantage.  They took a hose and placed it lower near the ground that forced cool air in at a certain volume and rate. He specifically said, when asked, "don't mess with it. It's all designed to work together.  Believe me we didn't leave 5-10 hp on the table because of air."   These days open air intake is positioned and sized for a certain about of air flowing a specific way.  Who is to say that by opening the scoop you don't alter the air pattern such that while you increased it you moved it 10 inches to the left now completely bypassing the air inlet. Sure you have more air running around but now you have less air to the engine.  Again, your car!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo