TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Shelby Side Scoops

Just installed the Ford factory side scoops on my 07 Shelby GT500.

Was a little worried they'd look right on the vehicle, but after spraying

them the exact factory color and finish, and then installing them, they

are really growing on me. I think they add just the right touch.

The black color really helps them meld into place and avoid that bulky

stuck-on look.

ItalianStallion

ShelbyOptionalSideScoop004.jpg

th_ShelbyOptionalSideScoop003.jpg

th_ShelbyOptionalSideScoop002.jpg

th_ShelbyOptionalSideScoop001.jpg

Nice job!! Really like the look!! It's something I felt Ford/Shelby should have added from day one, upper and lower scoops, and not leave it to the aftermarket.

Question: What exactly did you order from Ford? I've been looking myself for a matching upper and lower, and would like to research a bit more what you installed.

Thanks!!

Nice job!! Really like the look!! It's something I felt Ford/Shelby should have added from day one, upper and lower scoops, and not leave it to the aftermarket.

Question: What exactly did you order from Ford? I've been looking myself for a matching upper and lower, and would like to research a bit more what you installed.

Thanks!!

Hey Thanks ! :happy feet:

I, too, thought Ford should of had this as a normal stock part on all GT500's.

When I picked up my GT500, the dealer had a Shelby GT model on the

showroom floor and this unit had these scoops. I thought they looked good on that

particular mustang, so they grabbed the accessories guy and he stated he'll can get them

but they had to be painted. So, I ordered them and waited a few days until they came in.

Easy install. Ford also has the quarter window louvers that add a nice touch too.

Until I can dig up the part number, one can simply call up their local Ford dealer and

ask for the accessory dept head staffer and let them know what you want. They can

help as well.

ItalianStallion

Sorry ... but can anyone explain me the sidescoop and rearsidewindow cover issue?

Its just optics right? Where did the sidewindow cover come from (why did the original GT500 had them)? Technically it acts like a (small) parachute. People installing these (eventhough they look cool and I like the looks), should not worry about weight/drag reduction. While testing my GT500 fast (around 150 mph), I had big fears that the hood would pop up, and thats why I didnt try to run into the limited. I dont want to think of the scoops (less drive behind me).

Please ItalienStallion, dont get me wrong, I have also been thinking about it (in my case the window cover), just would like to know where these (the idea) originally came from.

Tomi

Sorry ... but can anyone explain me the sidescoop and rearsidewindow cover issue?

Its just optics right? Where did the sidewindow cover come from (why did the original GT500 had them)? Technically it acts like a (small) parachute. People installing these (eventhough they look cool and I like the looks), should not worry about weight/drag reduction. While testing my GT500 fast (around 150 mph), I had big fears that the hood would pop up, and thats why I didnt try to run into the limited. I dont want to think of the scoops (less drive behind me).

Please ItalienStallion, dont get me wrong, I have also been thinking about it (in my case the window cover), just would like to know where these (the idea) originally came from.

Tomi

No Offense. :) On the production cars the side scoop is non-functional. Although, the idea comes from the original Shelbys of the late 1960's. As with early and late model year Shelbys, each cars prototype

included a type of side scoop that was fully functional. Meaning the scoop itself was hollowed out(opened)

to create a kind of "shell" that not only looked good but directed airflow directly toward the rear brake assembly, thus cooling it even more than what the engineered design allowed(good when stopping after going 150mph !). So....even though the 2007 side scoop is non-functional they still capture the "original" look, feel, and attitude.

The same with the rear quarter window louvers. Classic design, but intended to capture that now in 2007.

Recall, the individulal louvers are positioned in "flow"( with the wind, not against them) with the forward direction of the car as it , say....goes 150mph... :shift: so they should not want to "tear off" as one propels themselves at mind blistering street-car speeds. Who knows...if one were to check the aerodynamic attitude of the air turbulence in the neighborhood of the quarter window region, one may find these louvers may enhance the directional flow of the air and vehicle as it moves ahead. :superhero: Hmmmmmmm. Good to hear from you Tomi. Let me know what you think. Saw your pics from home. Awesome Shelby and scenery.

ItalianStallion

Very nice Andy!! I likey!! :happy feet:

Is this installed with double-sided tape or is it bolted on?

Double sided tape. Doesn't look bad, since all the tape, part and car is all black

And besides, no bolt holes in the sheet metal. :doh:

Andy

Double sided tape. Doesn't look bad, since all the tape, part and car is all black

And besides, no bolt holes in the sheet metal. :doh:

Andy

Cool.

Want to get together on Aug 15th? I'll be in town and am free that evening.

Swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeet...

Got a part number?

My previous e-mail may not have posted.

I'm digging up the part number. I originally seen them on the new Shelby GT my dealer had on the showroom floor. This car looked great with them so I asked salesman, whats the deal ? Why didn't

they put these stock on the 07 Shelby GT500 ? No one knew why. So they got the accessories guy

and he said he could get them....and he did. They need to be painted to match your particular

Shelby body color, but thats no dig deal. Goes on with double sided tape...no bolt holes.

I'll post the part #.

ItalianStallion

07Shelby005.jpg

Shelbyclubinsignia.gif

Side scoops look nice!

Remember the 1965 GT350Rs did not have the side scoops either and the upper side scoops were covered with a piece of aluminum. The regular street GT350s did but side scoops and the side windows up top. Most everyone wanted the upper windows like the GT500s now have. When I was in Tulsa this year for the Mid America Shelby Show (didn't have my 500 yet) Shelby had a display of parts which included aluminum covers for the upper windows like the 60s R Shelbys/ The looked pretty cool. I think I will leave the windows in but if I was going to change them I'd go with the aluminum covers vs the scoops......

Just to make sure i am clear, you purchased your side scoops right from ford, which are the same scoops as the california gt, and shelby gt. and that they go on with double sided tape? I thought that the ford ones where bolt on. Don't they bolt on the scoopps on the other cars? I had posted the question on scoops a month ago, most peolpe used other after market scoops which looked great, and used tape. everyone said great things about the quality of the tape.

Just to make sure i am clear, you purchased your side scoops right from ford, which are the same scoops as the california gt, and shelby gt. and that they go on with double sided tape? I thought that the ford ones where bolt on. Don't they bolt on the scoopps on the other cars? I had posted the question on scoops a month ago, most peolpe used other after market scoops which looked great, and used tape. everyone said great things about the quality of the tape.

Yes....They are a Ford Part. Purchased directly from my Ford dealer. They are applied with

double sided tape. Seems very strong. There may have been another version or earlier scoop

that bolts on, but this one tapes. In addition, the only place I was first exposed to these scoops was noticing them on the Shelby GT that was on the showroom floor.

ItalianStallion

Yes....They are a Ford Part. Purchased directly from my Ford dealer. They are applied with

double sided tape. Seems very strong. There may have been another version or earlier scoop

that bolts on, but this one tapes. In addition, the only place I was first exposed to these scoops was noticing them on the Shelby GT that was on the showroom floor.

ItalianStallion

When I looked into these the instructions showed two spots where they needed to be screwed on and the tape both.

I do not know if they changed that since or if maybe in your case they just used the tape only and skipped drilling holes where the screws would have gone?

You can get the side scoops from (double sided 3m tape) "HubcapsPlus" factory paint for about $250 a pair...not bad. https://wheelskin.hostasaurus.com

You can get the side scoops from (double sided 3m tape) "HubcapsPlus" factory paint for about $250 a pair...not bad. https://wheelskin.hostasaurus.com

Just hung up with my Ford guy. On the side scoops...The installation process involves

using double sided tape as well as a fastener that allows a "bolt-like" application. This

"bolt-type" assembly does not require any bolt holes to be made in the sheetmetal

but allows these special fasteners to grab the scoop and the sheetmetal.....like a bolt, but

bolts without being through the sheetmetal approach. There is a special name for this fastener

but I cannot recall the exact nomenclature.

ItalianStallion

Just hung up with my Ford guy. On the side scoops...The installation process involves

using double sided tape as well as a fastener that allows a "bolt-like" application. This

"bolt-type" assembly does not require any bolt holes to be made in the sheetmetal

but allows these special fasteners to grab the scoop and the sheetmetal.....like a bolt, but

bolts without being through the sheetmetal approach. There is a special name for this fastener

ItalianStallion

We have something similar on airplanes called Click Bonds. It comes in either a threaded stud or a internally threaded post. No drilling, just epoxy to attach it to the sheet metal.

• 2 weeks later...

ItalianStallion

Hey Italian stallion your misinformation has cost me money. After reading your post I bought these side scoops Part #6r3z - 63424a62 - aa and they DO require drilling not what I plan on doing. please know what your talking about before you post here. After looking at your pics and comparing them to the Shelby GT side scoops now I can tell the dealer sold you aftermarket scoops that's why you couldn't give us a part number. Thanks

Archived