TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Break In Tips?

RevsUp

According to Kzinti over at BlueOvalForums, my Legend Lime GT should be Built this Thursday (10/13/05).

Although I've read the Owner's manual already and though it states there is no special procedures, other than varying the speed I drive during the 1K or so, there has to be some engineers out there that have a word or two about how to bring a new GT 4.6 Liter online.

This will be a shared rig. I'll be the main driver and saying that I am a "Spirited" driver is... putting it midly. But saying I'll be abusing it would be going too far. One of the reasons I'm moving up from a Mazda Miata is so that I don't have to redline every gear to get around the guy next to me at the stoplight.

Any real advice, not old urban sayings (Break it in fast, she'll be fast) are appreciated.

Cheers,

RevsUp

• 4 weeks later...

I would use the recommended oil, I'm guessing it's the usual 5W-20 synthetic blend, and change it and the filter every 3K miles up to 10K then switch to full synthetic 5W-30. At that point the engine should be broke in and the full synthetic will give maximum protection. Varying the speeds during the first 500 miles seems to make sense also. :)

Hank

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I took it pretty easy on it the first 200 miles(not over 3.5k), was intending to baby it for 500, but just couldnt resist...I tried, but ....made it to 420 miles before I found it can scratch the tires in third and really bark em hitting second...almost 600 miles now, still havent redlined, but with the way she shifts at 5, dont think any reason to...at least not till I can get to a track this summer :):):) Man I love this car!

• 3 months later...

Any recommendations on why not to immediately go to Mobil 1? A lot of manufacturers already drop it into the engine at the factory...Vette's, Viper's, GTO's, BMW, Porsche, etc. Just got an 06 GT. Have always been a user of synthetic (99 Expy for example with 97K).

Any thoughts?

The old school way,at 200 miles of carefull driving(not over 4500 to 5000 rpm) change your oil and filter.The next 500 miles work it a little harder,then change the oil and filter again.Now go 1000 miles ,drive it hard,but not stupid,and change your oil and filter.At this point you can go 4000 miles between changes and have a vehicle that will go for several hundred thousand miles.If they put it together to specs at the factory it should run very strong.When the time comes to rebuild,balance and blueprint it and you will be amazed at the difference.

The old school way,at 200 miles of carefull driving(not over 4500 to 5000 rpm) change your oil and filter.The next 500 miles work it a little harder,then change the oil and filter again.Now go 1000 miles ,drive it hard,but not stupid,and change your oil and filter.At this point you can go 4000 miles between changes and have a vehicle that will go for several hundred thousand miles.If they put it together to specs at the factory it should run very strong.When the time comes to rebuild,balance and blueprint it and you will be amazed at the difference.

post-2941-1148429267_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1148429340_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1148429267_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1148429340_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just bought mine a week ago and it has only 300 miles on it. The car doesn't seem anywhere near as fast as I thought it would. I assume these engines get better as they loosen up, at least I hope so. I haven't been thrashing it, but it seems like it's holding back. Maybe I need to take it back to the dealership and have them check it out.

Colin

I just bought mine a week ago and it has only 300 miles on it. The car doesn't seem anywhere near as fast as I thought it would. I assume these engines get better as they loosen up, at least I hope so. I haven't been thrashing it, but it seems like it's holding back. Maybe I need to take it back to the dealership and have them check it out.

Colin

What car did you buy?

• 1 month later...
08 4.6L Mustang GT with standard 3:31 gears.

Colin

The 3:31 equipped cars are a little lazy.But not to the point that you should be thinking WTF!Remember you are driving 281 cubic inches not 428,So they do lack a little down low especially with the 3:31 gears,Break it in and have some 4:10's installed and you will think they installed a supercharger!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived