TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ran my first Quarter Mile

wickedGT500

Well I made it to the striplast night with BFG DR............wow I cannot drive very good. It was 104 degrees out and here are my results:

RUN 1

2.558 60ft

13.163 ET

116.485mph

RUN 2

2.282 60ft

12.835 ET

117.125 MPH

Does anyone think I could hit 11's if I could get some traction? Also MASSIVE WHEELHOT, How do I fix?

Thxs,

Standing ¼ mile: 13.4 sec @ 108 mph

. A "stock" Shelby GT500 on stock tires

. No "burnout" prior to start (street conditions)

. Traction control (T/C) off

The trick is definitely in launching this car. At 3,920lbs of weight it will slow you down and cause "wheelhop". I try to keep my RPMs below 2000 when coming off the line in 1st gear.

I would be curious to know how others with a "stock" car are running the ¼ mile.

Well I made it to the striplast night with BFG DR............wow I cannot drive very good. It was 104 degrees out and here are my results:

RUN 1

2.558 60ft

13.163 ET

116.485mph

RUN 2

2.282 60ft

12.835 ET

117.125 MPH

Does anyone think I could hit 11's if I could get some traction? Also MASSIVE WHEELHOT, How do I fix?

Thxs,

To fix wheelhop, replace the UCA and LCAs. Some people have gotten by with just replacing one or the other. They are made by many companies...Steeda, BMR are a couple...but there are many more.

Dave

RUN 1

2.558 60ft

13.163 ET

116.485mph

RUN 2

2.282 60ft

12.835 ET

117.125 MPH

Thxs,

Actually these numbers are quite good. I made a couple of assumptions and ran some "corrected" numbers. I assumed 1200 ft altitude, 30.15 barometric pressure, and 70% humidity. Your numbers corrected to sea level 70 deg F would be 12.05 @ 124.39. Probably would be even better because I am sure your timing was pulled back due to the temperature.

If you have real numbers instead of my assumptions, go to http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php and plug the numbers in to get your corrected 1/4 mile times.

Don't beat yourself up because of hot day 1/4 mile times. It doesn't give you the true picture.

Todd

I'm no expert, but I've been told the best way to stop the inevitable wheel hop is an adjustable 3rd link. Any feedback on this would be appreciated from those who have tried it.

See my earlier post. I've tried it. Some would question the need for it to be adjustable. The adjustable feature is only needed if A) You're planning on lowering your car, B) You want to stray from the factory pinion angle.

Dave

The trick is definitely in launching this car. At 3,920lbs of weight it will slow you down and cause "wheelhop". I try to keep my RPMs below 2000 when coming off the line in 1st gear.

I would be curious to know how others with a "stock" car are running the ¼ mile.

I ran mine last week, 93 degrees and high humidity. I don't have my slips with me so I don't have exact numbers and I don't remember the track altitude but the best I could get on my stock tires and no upgrades to my car was 13.5 @ 109. The 60' was someplace in the mid 2's. I was launching at about 2500 rpm, maybe I was launching too hard. The car seemed to fall on it's nose after shifting, I lifted for each shift as I wasn't comfortable trying to powershift.

I ran mine last week, 93 degrees and high humidity. I don't have my slips with me so I don't have exact numbers and I don't remember the track altitude but the best I could get on my stock tires and no upgrades to my car was 13.5 @ 109. The 60' was someplace in the mid 2's. I was launching at about 2500 rpm, maybe I was launching too hard. The car seemed to fall on it's nose after shifting, I lifted for each shift as I wasn't comfortable trying to powershift.

with so much power these cars are hard to launch and get good 60ft time............I will pay and pay until my suspension HOOKS.

+1

All right! Someone else with a "stock" Shelby GT500....

I have not attempted "powershifting" on my car and don't even know if the transmission is built to handle that.

Don't want to find out the hard way!

Anyone know the answer?

Here is how I understand powershifting to work: "a powershift does not utilize the clutch at all. Instead, the gear lever is "ripped" from gear to gear without taking the foot off the gas. This type of shifting is mainly used in racing applications with gearboxes that have been specifically designed for this purpose. In this application, powershifting does not put very much strain on the transmission; most of the stress is absorbed by the clutch and the rear differential."

Just because people tell you to "Drive It Like It's Stolen!", doesn't mean that you should ignore regular shifting! Don't be fooled, shifting as hard as you can isn't going to make you go any faster. Shifting as quickly as you can will make you faster (IMHO)!

Powershifting 101: http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/drag_strip/powershift.htm

+1

All right! Someone else with a "stock" Shelby GT500....

I have not attempted "powershifting" on my car and don't even know if the transmission is built to handle that.

Don't want to find out the hard way!

Anyone know the answer?

Here is how I understand powershifting to work: "a powershift does not utilize the clutch at all. Instead, the gear lever is "ripped" from gear to gear without taking the foot off the gas. This type of shifting is mainly used in racing applications with gearboxes that have been specifically designed for this purpose. In this application, powershifting does not put very much strain on the transmission; most of the stress is absorbed by the clutch and the rear differential."

Just because people tell you to "Drive It Like It's Stolen!", doesn't mean that you should ignore regular shifting! Don't be fooled, shifting as hard as you can isn't going to make you go any faster. Shifting as quickly as you can will make you faster (IMHO)!

Powershifting 101: http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/drag_strip/powershift.htm

I believe powershifting is using the clutch, but never letting up on the gas. Definitely a bit safer on a car like ours with a rev limiter than it was in the old days.

I ran my car on the strip in St. Louis in May. It was in the '70s if I recall. I'm not an experienced racer. I ran 13.8 the first run with T/C Off (I launched WAY too hard...too much wheelspin), and then I ran 13.1 the same night with T/C on and a better launch strategy of around 3,500 RPM.

r/t.......... .286

60'.......... 2.024

330.......... 5.328

1/8.......... 7.990

MPH.......... 93.05

1000......... 10.246

1/4.......... 12.162

MPH.......... 117.91

503rwhp & 489rwtq

race weight on this pass was 4295lbs.....I had a passenger

tune/cai/ 2.6 pulley

these were the only thing done to the car. STOCK TIRES & STOCK GEARS & STOCK SUSPENSION

So to answer your question yes you car is an 11 sec car. Mine is too with tires.

I always thought powershifting was side-stepping the clutch and shifting fast while keeping the accelerator on the floor. I wouldn't want to try not using the clutch at all.

yes that is powershifting. Shifting with out the clutch would require you to have your transmission set up to me Proshifted.

Power shifting=leave foot on the floor + side step clutch

Pro shifting= requires modifications to the inside of trans, so it can be shifted with out the clutch.

I ran my car about 5 weeks ago, 102 degree day. Traction control on: 13.7/104, 13.4/105. Later same day, temperature 98 degrees, traction control off: 13.0/109 and 13.0/110. The last run could have definately been a 12.8 or better but I over drove the car.

Good luck at the track

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it people always think that power shifting means you do not use the clutch..... Urban legends for street racers methinks.

Its just you shift really fast without backing off all the way on the throttle. To practice, Or better yet get an idea. Next time your driving her, Make sure your foot is in touch with the accel peddle (never lifting full off of it) while shifting when your doing some spirited driving.

My GT500 is nearly stock except for the steeda LCA's and corsa axle back Dyno at 375-400rwhp @115degrees F.

I ran 4 - 1/4 mile runs 13.1, 12.8, 13.3 , 12.9. Traction controll ON, no powershifting. 2000rpm, 25psi street tires

I wanted to run w/o traction controll, I turned it off, but in an effort to reduce heat soak, I turned the car off while waiting to line up; therefore, when I turned the car back on - it automatically reverts to traction controll ON. So I thought I was driving with it off.

Also , I could never remember to power shift, I just drove like HELL, and kept forgetting to powershift.

It was fun, but those rubber dingleberrys are a pain in the ass to clean from under the rear - lol.

Archived