TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roll bar or not

J1912

I just ran across a great deal on a 2017 GT350R that had 79 miles on it. This car is 1 of 12 from the ford production sheet. It has all of the deletes and the trunk is bare.  I want to track the car and be safe so I was going to install a roll bar with a 4 point harness. It has Recaro seats in it. The question is  do I do it and will it hurt the value of the car or help it?  

FDEA2EFF-F282-4933-A284-121C2638D7E5.jpeg

8C9F5104-F90A-42B6-B4DD-1B0FC11AA836.jpeg

I don't know about affecting the value but if you are going to track the car, you should be installing a 5 or 6 point harness in addition to a roll bar.  I track my 2008 SGT and before I ever took it on the track, I had a roll bar and 5 point harnesses installed.  The track can be unforgiving when something goes wrong so your personal safety should be your number one concern with the value of the car behind that.  Below is my worst moment so far; going sideways at 73 mph after losing it in the final turn at  Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.  Point is, if you track your car, you are going to have any number of "moments" when you may need part or all the safety equipment you have on board (hopefully, you will never need the roll bar).  

Everything else aside, that is one nice car you found.  Hope you enjoy it greatly.  Jim

1966042200_Spin1.jpg.bba2c9b5c7cb72ed809fbe971f8a2e80.jpg

1 hour ago, clark17357 said:

I don't know about affecting the value but if you are going to track the car, you should be installing a 5 or 6 point harness in addition to a roll bar.  I track my 2008 SGT and before I ever took it on the track, I had a roll bar and 5 point harnesses installed.  The track can be unforgiving when something goes wrong so your personal safety should be your number one concern with the value of the car behind that.  Below is my worst moment so far; going sideways at 73 mph after losing it in the final turn at  Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.  Point is, if you track your car, you are going to have any number of "moments" when you may need part or all the safety equipment you have on board (hopefully, you will never need the roll bar).  

Everything else aside, that is one nice car you found.  Hope you enjoy it greatly.  Jim

1966042200_Spin1.jpg.bba2c9b5c7cb72ed809fbe971f8a2e80.jpg

Excellent post, and totally agree with what you said.  Your utmost personal (Safety) should be your main concern, you can replace a car, but not your body, it’s just that simple!

7 hours ago, J1912 said:

I just ran across a great deal on a 2017 GT350R that had 79 miles on it. This car is 1 of 12 from the ford production sheet. It has all of the deletes and the trunk is bare.  I want to track the car and be safe so I was going to install a roll bar with a 4 point harness. It has Recaro seats in it. The question is  do I do it and will it hurt the value of the car or help it?  

FDEA2EFF-F282-4933-A284-121C2638D7E5.jpeg

8C9F5104-F90A-42B6-B4DD-1B0FC11AA836.jpeg

How much would he take for the Honda CR-V ??? 

Hahaha. Just teasing! 

I agree whole heartedly with what’s been said already. That car can easily stand having a full cage installed and 5 or 6 point harness. The next owner will only appreciate it, being it was built for tracking with no creature comforts. 

And as was mentioned, it only takes ONE TIME, and you’ll know you did the RIGHT thing!! 

Good luck and welcome to our forum! 🙋‍♂️

Chris 

A 5 or 6 point harness is such that points 5 and 6 attach to the floor of the car and come up between the driver's legs and click into the same buckle that points 1 and 2 (lap belt), and points 3 and 4 (shoulder harness) fasten into.  The 5 and 6 points are often called anti-submarine restraints and will keep your body from sliding downward and thereby escaping the protection afforded by points 1, 2, 3 and 4.  The raw violence of a crash on a track I am told is impossible to describe for those of us that have never experienced it.  Returning to the point about your personal safety, it is the most important thing to protect, check out the 5 or 6 point set-up and confirm that you do not have to change your seats to have that added protection.  Best of luck.

Jim