TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lowered the rear-end!!

03reptile

I ordered the Eibach springs for the GT500 and installed the rears only since the car looks like its hunting worms, in stock form. I was pleased with the results and the front and rear levels are within 1/8th inch of being the same. I'm going to leave it this way for a while and see how thing go. I have the front springs from Eibach, but havn't installed them since the front is pretty low in stock form. QUESTION: Is having the Eibachs in the rear and the stock springs in the front going to be a problem or be detrimental to the car?I've driven it and it does not seem to have any effect on the handling or tracking. The car now looks level like my 03 Terminator. Would appreciate any input from those of you well versed on suspension modifications.

Many have lowered the rear only on the S197's. In fact Roush sells just the rear springs if that's what you want. My Mustang has the Roush springs in the rear and the only difference I can see or tell is in the looks. I have not heard of any problems on any forums yet. My sons Mustang has the rears cut one coil for about two years with no problems. I plan on lowering my GT500 as soon as someone has just the rear springs.

Many have lowered the rear only on the S197's. In fact Roush sells just the rear springs if that's what you want. My Mustang has the Roush springs in the rear and the only difference I can see or tell is in the looks. I have not heard of any problems on any forums yet. My sons Mustang has the rears cut one coil for about two years with no problems. I plan on lowering my GT500 as soon as someone has just the rear springs.

So does Roush offer just rear springs for gt500?

How does the Eibach ride? Is the quality of ride reduced by lowering w/Eibach? I've heard that you really need to do a whole suspension or else the drivability will suffer if all you do is drop it with a lowering kit. I haven't done either (yet), but I'm curious what you guys are finding.

I ordered the Eibach springs for the GT500 and installed the rears only since the car looks like its hunting worms, in stock form. I was pleased with the results and the front and rear levels are within 1/8th inch of being the same. I'm going to leave it this way for a while and see how thing go. I have the front springs from Eibach, but havn't installed them since the front is pretty low in stock form. QUESTION: Is having the Eibachs in the rear and the stock springs in the front going to be a problem or be detrimental to the car?I've driven it and it does not seem to have any effect on the handling or tracking. The car now looks level like my 03 Terminator. Would appreciate any input from those of you well versed on suspension modifications.

I have only the rear of my car lowered with BMR springs. There is nothing detrimental in doing this. It does cut down on your driveshaft clearance a little, if you go to a one piece. I have a 3.5 shaft in my car and that works fine, 4 is sometimes an issue on lowered cars. Lowering will also move the pinion angle, LCA angles and rearend centering slightly out. I noticed no driving issues with just the springs, but did eventually add an adjustable panhard rod, LCA relocation brackets, and a adjustable UCA to get the geometry to the "optimum" settings.

I second the picture request. With the Nitto drag radials ... my ass is WAY up .... would like to lower it a tad

I second the picture request. With the Nitto drag radials ... my ass is WAY up .... would like to lower it a tad

I have the H&R rear springs only. looks and feels great. I just recieved my nitto 305/45/19 555r's, just rolling them up to the car it looks like I will have to take out the springs. Won't know for sure till the last week of august. I'll let you all know.

The Eibach springs lowered the car to level, but after driving it, I noticed a much stiffer and more choppy ride from the rear end. It was much stiffer than stock so I've removed the Eibach rear springs and replaced the stock rear springs. Once again it has the ass in the air look, but the ride quality is back to stock and much preferred by me. Has anyone tried cutting the stock springs to lower the rear end but yet retain the stock ride quality? Eibach told me before I bought the springs that they would not degrade the ride quality. They lied! I simply want to keep the stock ride quality in the rear but bring it down about 1 and 1/2 ". Can anyone help me accomplish this? Ford Racing also has a lowering kit for our GT500s but they told me that it might stiffen the ride quality which is what I wanted to avoid. So you see my quandary!!

I spoke with a trusted and experienced Technician at my dealership yesterday and he stated that if I cut the progressive rate coil spring, I will harshen the ride and thus be back to square one, but unable to get back to factory specks without buying new factory springs. Sounds very logical to me. So I'm really at an impass at this time. Hopefully someone can advise how I can lower the rear to a level setting but not stiffen the ride quality of the rear that I currently have with the stock rear springs.

I agree completely, why do they jack the mustangs up so high in the rear? I'm a nut on level suspensions. Perhaps spacers for the front springs? I've done that with other cars and it has worked well.

Well, the long and short of it is that the rear end experiences a wide range of different loads. The rear load ranges from a nearly empty gas tank, empty rear seats, and empty trunk to a full gas tank, full trunk, and two people in the rear seats. The car has to be stable and can't have the headlights pointing to the sky. The front weight does not change at all unless your air filter is REALLY dirty and you clean it. :yup:

Archived