TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The turn signal blinker drives me nuts

ingram4868

rpretzl - you know it has grease zerks so it doesn't take fluid :hysterical2:

Sorry, but most of us old timers love the blinker - it took extra engineering to make the sound which is reminiscent of the sound made by the mechanical relays in the 60's.

+1

I like the sound too. :happy feet:

rpretzl - you know it has grease zerks so it doesn't take fluid :hysterical2:

Sorry, but most of us old timers love the blinker - it took extra engineering to make the sound which is reminiscent of the sound made by the mechanical relays in the 60's.

Is that right, it was by design that it sounds that way? I never event thought about it being a retro sound but now that you mention it...

It is apparently the same blinker that was in our Ford Five Hundred. Does anyone know of a way to change the tone or silence it?

Ok, I'll start by saying this is not my area of expertise...but I do have a couple thoughts. And, there is someone on this forum (can't recall who) that is a great electrical guy...he spliced into a harness for a couple things...I bet he would know for sure.

The way a flasher unit is made is basically like a capacitor. Once the capacitor reaches capacity (I know, it seems redundant), it discharges by allowing the electricity to pass through, which causes the blink. Then the process repeats itself. What I'm trying to say is that the flasher is basically a capacitor. In the old days, they simply plugged in with spade terminals. So, if you liked your signals to flash slower, you could order a Cadillace flasher and plug it in. If you liked faster, get one from a smaller car like a Vega.

Now as for the GT500, I don't know how accessible the flasher is. HOwever, you can find it by tracing the noise. Once you find it, see how easy it is to remove, and try ordering one for a different Ford or maybe even another brand. The flasher should have a rating listed on it in microfarads. I THINK (again, I'm not an expert) that the higher the rating, the slower the blinking. Now as for noise, I don't think the rating has anything to do with it...I think that's more a function of the case in which it's housed and so on.

I'm going to go check mine out right now....so I may edit this post in 30 minutes.

Dave

Edit: I just spent 10 minutes under the dash. That thing must be up there just behind the light itself...I can hear it but can't easily get to it. Does anyone know how easy it is to take the gauge cluster out? We need to take a close look at this while at AAI next week. :hysterical2:

:hysterical2: WHEN I FIXED MY BLINKER IT WAS EASY.......

IT IS CALLED A 1000 WATTS SHAKER SYSTEM....WHAT BLINKER NOISE????

BRay

I also went with the Shaker 1000/Blinker noise delete option. I've also seen some who have gone with the borla or bassani / blinker silencer mods. :hysterical: Either way you go they both seem to work fine.

I also went with the Shaker 1000/Blinker noise delete option. I've also seen some who have gone with the borla or bassani / blinker silencer mods. :hysterical: Either way you go they both seem to work fine.

Blinker noise delete option? Now I don't care who you are....THAT is funny. :hysterical2: And this guy doesn't even have 10 posts yet. :hysterical2:

BNDO code 47r - Blinker Noise Delete Option (requires simultaneous option HNAO - see below)

CHNA code snak5.4 - Clutch Hissing Noise Amplification

:hysterical2::hysterical:

1000 watt blinker noise eliminator option? Pfft, my Explorer has a 300 watt blinker noise eliminator and it's louder than 1000 watts I've heard

Plus, having it make a sound is another way to let you know your blinker is on so you don't drive across country with your left blinker on.

Isn't there a warning tone that kicks in if you leave the blinker on for too long....thought I'd remembered that?

And maybe reprogram the sound too. Something in a New York accent like "HEY, I'M TURNIN' HERE...HEY, I'M TURNIN' HERE..." :hysterical2:

Yes. Or "Outta maway" or "comin' thru here" or "move yur a :censored: "

Or better yet, a variety of different ones that you can choose from. Allow you to selectively insult the guy you're stuck behind at a light who wants to go straight in the right turn only lane. Along the lines of "Piece of Crap". Or "rice eater here". This could be fun. I think you came up with an awesome mod!!! :hysterical:

Or better yet, a variety of different ones that you can choose from. Allow you to selectively insult the guy you're stuck behind at a light who wants to go straight in the right turn only lane. Along the lines of "Piece of Crap". Or "rice eater here". This could be fun. I think you came up with an awesome mod!!! :hysterical:

Or get a recording of Carroll...and have it say "Chicken farmer turnin' left here". :hysterical:

That's some funny sh :censored: t!

What about the Minnesota optioin - "oooh yaaah, I may be turnin' right, you betcha!"

:hysterical2:

Archived