TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Progression Of My 2020 GT500

Over the course of 3 years I have learned a lot. Spent a lot of time looking outward for direction, until I got comfortable enough to look within. Stopped trying to be better than everyone else, and just better than I was the day before. Listened to what people wanted, and more importantly what they disliked. Tons of fun, a lot of late nights, many phone calls with enthusiasts, a couple mistakes and would not trade any of it. It is the natural progression we all go through.

What I present to you now is what I would call the maximum 21" fitment setup for the 2020 GT500.  Showcased below are the Signature Wheel Flagship Series ONE in a 21x11 / 21x11.5, wrapped in a 315/30/21 and 325/30/21 Michelin Pilot 4S. This Flagship design is a multipiece design intended for low offset and wide body cars. Brake caliper size, suspension geometry, and fender position really dictate everything. Any two piece wheel requires a 21" to clear the brakes, as the wheel face bolting inside the outer barrel gives it a 20" inner diameter.

I opted for this mesh design with a Silver face and Polished stepped lip in homage to some of the classic racing cars. This timeless pattern speaks differently to everyone. Fitment here is aggressive to allow for the most lip possible. Negative camber is dialed in the rear to allow for clearance, and only the slightest touch on hard bumps. The front has some slight rubbing of the front fender liners at full lock due to the 315 front tire. But have no fear, a 295/30/21 or 305/30/21 tire up front would clear just fine. Less aggressive rear offsets would require no camber adjustments, zero rubbing, but result in a smaller wheel lip. Each wheel tips the scales at 33lbs each front and rear. Amazingly this is equal to the overall weight of the OEM GT500 wheels that come in at 32/35 lbs. Performance loss is something we engineer to avoid.

The goal here was to not only build the most aggressive setup, but also learn the limitations of the car. Many wheel concepts from the GT350 carry over, but testing fitments on my own car first on the street/track is the only real way to know. That knowledge is why it is very important who you choose to build your wheels. Experimenting on client cars is my last resort whenever possible, although I greatly appreciate those that want to be the first to try something new. Spending 5-6k of my own money to pilot a setup is invaluable data. I am glad to hear so often that clients appreciate that level of dedication, as these are no small sum of money.

Enjoy the pics from Austin (IG: @summit.ss) and will have more for you soon.

Signature-ONE-GT500-Polished-Lip-Silver-