TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much will I pay for 500KR?

I see, so $20K - $25K over is easy to believe but $30K isn't?

It kinda of depends on your area of the country. Fla and Ca. will demand more money for the car and get it. However in Montana- well less.

So why not just buy one in a northern state and drive it home to Ca?

Its illegal until the car is used with a minumum of 8500 miles

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It kinda of depends on your area of the country. Fla and Ca. will demand more money for the car and get it. However in Montana- well less.

So why not just buy one in a northern state and drive it home to Ca?

Its illegal until the car is used with a minumum of 8500 miles

Why is that? If it's some special emissions option, can't a dealer (in Oklahoma, or...) just spec it as CA-compliant? ...or better still, move from CA :hysterical: As a last resort, I'll gladly volunteer to put that first 8500 miles on it ;)

Why is that? If it's some special emissions option, can't a dealer (in Oklahoma, or...) just spec it as CA-compliant? ...or better still, move from CA :hysterical: As a last resort, I'll gladly volunteer to put that first 8500 miles on it ;)

Should take about a week, I figure. :shift:

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you want. No matter what they cost it will be a deal. You wait till Mr Shelby goes home to the man in the sky you will be paying 3-4-5-6 times higher for any thing with the shelby name on it. Go seahawks.

Say what you want. No matter what they cost it will be a deal. You wait till Mr Shelby goes home to the man in the sky you will be paying 3-4-5-6 times higher for any thing with the shelby name on it. Go seahawks.

Hey, BLOWN ...Welcome to SU!!

I don't know -- when the Dodge brothers died, Dodges didn't go up un value.

And I'm not holding out for the price-spike of Shelby Lancers, etc.

I think the Shelby cars that were awesome before his demise will be valuable afterward, but not sure it will have much to do with that event.

How will the GT500, SS and KR do? I think all will be very desireable in the futire, possibly in ascending order if the KR nums remain limited to 1000. ...just my .02

I was watching a high end auto auction last night - I cannot remember the name, not barrett jackson. Anyway, a 68 GT500KR convert, 4spd, drove up on the auction block. One of only 4 converts w/4sp and other options......1 of 4!!! Guess how much it sold for???? Under $110K. Don't let the hype get you on the 08 KR, pay MSRP!!!

I called Shelby Las Vegas today and they said that they are not limiting the number of SS to 1000? It is market demand. They have about 1600 orders (not deposits) if too many SS are built and the parts are available in the aftermarket to convert mustangs and Shelby’s to SS they are not going to hold up in value as much as a KR.

What does every one else think? :waiting:

What do I know.

I have e mail confirmation from Adrienne at SAI that SS is being limited. just over 1k for 07 and 1k for 08. Once their all booked thats it, no more made at SAI.

My wife tells me it's never a good idea to fall for a car, she is right, but I cannot help it. The 500KR is the one I've been waiting for....million dollar question is how much will the KR actually cost? Someone posted they are paying $40k over sticker - wow, wish I had your bank roll. Is this going to be a car only the wealthy can afford? Should I give up the dream now and not waste my time?

I'd say give it up. Dealers were greedy enough with the freaking GT500 which isn't exactly a 'limited production' car when it's going to have 27,000 of them out on the roads after a three year run. (probably more)

Unfortunately the KR will not make it into the hands of any purists, or people that will actually drive and enjoy the thing. Instead it will be marked up to some ridiculous levels then sold to some tool that has more money than sense and just wants the next garage queen to show off to his other rich buddies between bottles of Pinot and sweater vest comparisons.

Really depresses me that Ford doesn't make dealerships stick to their pricing structure. The GT500 and the KR were meant for the 'working class' enthusiast. You know, the person that can't afford to pay cash for a 911 Twin Turbo.

I :censored: hate care stealerships and their ' :censored: the customer at any cost' mentality.

Very good point. Glad to know that I am not the only enthusiast who realizes that the amount of hype around the current KR is wildly out of line and flatly laughable in some instances. The 08 KR will be the Mustang to end all in the minds of many Blue Oval fanatics but will be quickly dethroned as the next model arrives and ups the ante. Some of us just haven't quite figured this out yet.

New cars are plain and simply not investments and anyone who thinks that this latest version will be is wrong. There will no doubt be the ususal cast of characters who unload whatever amount of cash is needed to be an early owner. These prices will have no bearing on what the cars are worth 10-20-30, or 40 years from now.

+1 I think these are very wise words in general -- there will always be exceptions, but the statement is still accurate, imo. The exceptions (big appreciation in 20-40 years) actually validate this by showing that appreciation has no coupling to what people pay for a car when new, imo. These cars may appreciate in the long run, but ADMs will have nothing whatsoever to do with it, imo... it will be other events over time and how these cars indelibly imbed themselves in the hearts and minds of enthusiasts IN THE FUTURE, i.e. viewed 20-40 years hence. Will these cars be capable of that? I love 'em but dunno.

Dan

I'd say give it up. Dealers were greedy enough with the freaking GT500 which isn't exactly a 'limited production' car when it's going to have 27,000 of them out on the roads after a three year run. (probably more)

Unfortunately the KR will not make it into the hands of any purists, or people that will actually drive and enjoy the thing. Instead it will be marked up to some ridiculous levels then sold to some tool that has more money than sense and just wants the next garage queen to show off to his other rich buddies between bottles of Pinot and sweater vest comparisons.

Yeap, sadly we will probably never see a KR rolling down the street or in the flesh.

KC666

• 3 weeks later...

I see a few people are not getting suckered into the dealer hype. I agree with MR 68Fastback! Cars are almost always a bad bad investment. If you are buying a car to make money in the future you are running with the highest risk of all time. This crap that having Shebly's name on it will make it worth so much more money is actually funny.

There are a few people who are collector's and might pay a premium to get a mint condition car signed and all that.

So you are going to pay 70k on a GT 500 (after taxes and financing etc). With the hopes that this car is going to steadily increase in value over time.

Ok a little education for those thinking that way.

First factor in your total cost, maybe 75k when you get done financing the car, some will buy it out right but most will finance.

Now figure your goal is to sell it in 30 years for a huge score.

Figure in that you have to insure it for those 30 years which is equal to at least $1000 a year, Maintenance figure about 500 bucks a year for Oil, waxing, washing and tuneups etc. (yeah Mobil 1 is like 100 bucks an oil change).

So your total investment is 120,000 bucks over 30 years.

Now compare that to investing the money in a Fairly decent Mutual Fund. In most Mutual Funds your money doubles every 7 years.

$75,000 in 7 years that will equate to $150,000, in 14 years it will equate to $300,000, in 21 years it will be worth $600,000 and in 28 years it will be worth $1,200,000.

Now there is another factor, if your car starts to escalate in value your insurance premiums will also escalate. If you think you are going to insure a $300,000 car for 1k a year your in for a surprise.

As I stated earlier Cars are poor investments. I fellow viper owner that bought his Viper for an investment, and the rest of us kind of just laugh at him. For the value of the car and for what it will be worth, drive it and enjoy it. Once the car rolls off the lot it will start to depreciate.

I see a few people are not getting suckered into the dealer hype. I agree with MR 68Fastback! Cars are almost always a bad bad investment. If you are buying a car to make money in the future you are running with the highest risk of all time. This crap that having Shebly's name on it will make it worth so much more money is actually funny.

There are a few people who are collector's and might pay a premium to get a mint condition car signed and all that.

So you are going to pay 70k on a GT 500 (after taxes and financing etc). With the hopes that this car is going to steadily increase in value over time.

Ok a little education for those thinking that way.

First factor in your total cost, maybe 75k when you get done financing the car, some will buy it out right but most will finance.

Now figure your goal is to sell it in 30 years for a huge score.

Figure in that you have to insure it for those 30 years which is equal to at least $1000 a year, Maintenance figure about 500 bucks a year for Oil, waxing, washing and tuneups etc. (yeah Mobil 1 is like 100 bucks an oil change).

So your total investment is 120,000 bucks over 30 years.

Now compare that to investing the money in a Fairly decent Mutual Fund. In most Mutual Funds your money doubles every 7 years.

$75,000 in 7 years that will equate to $150,000, in 14 years it will equate to $300,000, in 21 years it will be worth $600,000 and in 28 years it will be worth $1,200,000.

Now there is another factor, if your car starts to escalate in value your insurance premiums will also escalate. If you think you are going to insure a $300,000 car for 1k a year your in for a surprise.

As I stated earlier Cars are poor investments. I fellow viper owner that bought his Viper for an investment, and the rest of us kind of just laugh at him. For the value of the car and for what it will be worth, drive it and enjoy it. Once the car rolls off the lot it will start to depreciate.

I cannot believe anyone is that stupid enough to get suckered into buying this or paying a premium just because of anything some dealer may tell them about this being a collector car. The KR we know will be a collector. The GT500 is merely a gamble. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Regardless, it is a bad investment if you are buying it for that reason. Including the KR. I don't care what kind of car it is. No car is a good investment unless you know you can make a healthy profit in the very short term. As in buy for X amount today and sell for X amount more tomorrow or perhaps within a year.

But to buy a car to store for 20 - 30 years in hopes of it being worth $100k, $200k, $300k or $500k is very bad investment. Even if it did become worth $300k - $500k in 20 - 30 years, it is still a lousy investment!

If you are looking for an investment go buy a stinking house! Rent it out and let the renters pay for it, watch it become worth 3 - 10 times what you paid for it in 20 - 30 years plus all the cash flow you made during that time and any tax benefits you got from it during that time.

Lets assume you had the $70K cash to pay out for a car. Instead, take that $70K cash and go buy 7 houses putting $10K down on each. What would those be worth in 20 - 30 years?

I cannot believe anyone is that stupid enough to get suckered into buying this or paying a premium just because of anything some dealer may tell them about this being a collector car. The KR we know will be a collector. The GT500 is merely a gamble. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Regardless, it is a bad investment if you are buying it for that reason. Including the KR. I don't care what kind of car it is. No car is a good investment unless you know you can make a healthy profit in the very short term. As in buy for X amount today and sell for X amount more tomorrow or perhaps within a year.

But to buy a car to store for 20 - 30 years in hopes of it being worth $100k, $200k, $300k or $500k is very bad investment. Even if it did become worth $300k - $500k in 20 - 30 years, it is still a lousy investment!

If you are looking for an investment go buy a stinking house! Rent it out and let the renters pay for it, watch it become worth 3 - 10 times what you paid for it in 20 - 30 years plus all the cash flow you made during that time and any tax benefits you got from it during that time.

Lets assume you had the $70K cash to pay out for a car. Instead, take that $70K cash and go buy 7 houses putting $10K down on each. What would those be worth in 20 - 30 years?

+1 Do ya think the people that bought the original KR's paid an ADM???? If they did do ya think it was more than the sticker :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

ADMs were essentially unheard of back then. I bought my '68 for $50 over dealer cost.

Back in the '60s, even the CS Shelbys went for modest markups over dealer cost (not over MSRP) and even those went down in value initially. In 1970, early Cobras were going for substantially less than what they cost new. Perfect SBs were going for $3-4K and like-new BBs for $5-6K (i.e. a little under dealer invoice) but most were 20-40% less than that.

It took quite some time before they started going up, I think it was mostly driven by the fact that, buy the mid-70s, there was nothing with any peformance to buyand the price of everything was higher, so the CS Cobras started going up as folks saw them as relatively cheap and very competant hi-po rides. They were also unique cars in small number, every one hand-made.

Same with the Shelby Mustangs... they went down and then were slowly rediscovered ove the years as nice used rides at a reasonable price. Virtually no one even thought of putting them away to appreciate. Heck, most folks didn't even take many pics of their cars -- you drove the wheels off them and enjoyed them. Things were different then.

Maybe all that will repeat again -- dunno. In 2050 we (well, er.., our progeny) might have to knock three times on the black door, whisper the magic code-word to Vito, and score five gallons of 93-octane for $1000 in the back alley. :hysterical:

Still, the stock market averages 12% over the long haul -- few if any production cars will ever see anything near that (128-fold ove 42 years) -- even 40+ year old 427 Shelby Cobras in pristine condition barely pace that -- and they're at the top of the class. Typical nice-condition Shelby Mustangs (not ones that were 100-point restored at great expense) that cost $6K new are not going for $750K now.

Imo, there's no way any of these cars will ever match that, even tho I think they're awesome cars the likes of which we will not see again as gas vehicles. There will always be a market for the handfulls of collections sporting a complete set of, for example, color-matching vintage and current GT500s and GT500KRs and ditto GT350s (assuming a reduxin the near future), but they will become museum pieces when everything is running on bio-diesel, H2, and who knows what ...sad sad sad, imo. <lol>

If I could afford one of each I would not hesitate -- but it would be to enjoy them and share the enjoyment with like-minded friends -- not to squirrel them away as an investment ...just seems to be no point in that, financially or otherwise.

...just one old geezer's .02 :hysterical: ;-)

Dan

I don't need to have the KR that bad to pay any ADM. I'll stay with my GT500/CSM-07SS0210. If I'm offered one at MSRP like I was with my 07, then I'll take it. The Ford dealer here in town started at $100K ADM for the 08 KR, then it went $70K ADM, now it's $50K ADM, they are fishing the market. The same happened with an 08 GT500, they wanted $15K over, then $7K over, now $3K over.

I was watching a high end auto auction last night - I cannot remember the name, not barrett jackson. Anyway, a 68 GT500KR convert, 4spd, drove up on the auction block. One of only 4 converts w/4sp and other options......1 of 4!!! Guess how much it sold for???? Under $110K. Don't let the hype get you on the 08 KR, pay MSRP!!!

Was probably Russo & Steele...

...here's their recent GT500KRs auction closings

The "only 1 of 4" are just just contrived ways trying to convey exclusivity, e.g. this car is only one of four verts in blue with radio-delete <lol>).

When you read the detiled write-up on the first one in the link above that went for $138.6, it sounds like a $600K car, and had factory-air! But it's an automatic (brings less) and though every part is either original, restored or original replacement (translation: it was fairly beat but sound and we found most of the replacement parts and fixed the others -- just look at the drivers-side clapped-out carpeting -- not a prime car :nonono:) I'm stretching my comments a bit to make apoint -- a KR that went for $110K is clapped-out and possibly restored in a way that's not up to par (which will hurt it's value more than an incompete, but perfect, resto, imo).

Even the last one in the link above that is only 1 of only 22 in special-order yellow 'only' went for $216.7 likely because it was repainted and was restored to 'only' street-concours (nicest of that group, but still won't fetch top KR dollars).

The ones that bring $.5M are either all-original perfect units with low-miles,provenance and true rarities or are no compromise '100-point' restorations that cost more than some of these cars sold for just to do the resto.

If you search the auction sites, you'll see KRs that sound great that went for $50K! When you peel the onion, you find out they're being unloaded because you'd have to invest $100K in them to get $150K -- i.e. no one wants them except as a nice streeter to enjoy, hence low value.

I'm no expert on car rewstos and auctions so this is just my observations from following and searching over the years, but I am not an auction 'insider' no do I have any first-hand knowledge of the R&S autcion cars in the link above... My comments are just to put the prices in perspective based on what I've observed.

Still, wouldn't mind having any one of them ;-) ... so I could auction it and buy a new one -- that I can really ENJOY!! :happy feet: ;-)

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

You can live in a car, but you can't drive a house. That's my motto!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call today from our local Ford dealer (Internet sales manager). They have been calling/email me once or twice a month trying to sell me a 08 GT mustang. So today the message was about an 08 GT500 KR, so I call back. He asks me if I'm still interested in the KR, I said yes and what is the ADM anything over $125K. Told him no thanks. He goes on about the mega millon lotto winner we had a few months ago here in Baltimore. This guy walks into their dealership last month and bought 6 new vehicles from them and wants a KR. He will pay $125K ADM for the KR. I told the salesman, at the rate this guy is spending his winnings he may be broke by spring.

They do have an 08 GT500 Performance White/Blue stripes $6K ADM

Really depresses me that Ford doesn't make dealerships stick to their pricing structure. The GT500 and the KR were meant for the 'working class' enthusiast. You know, the person that can't afford to pay cash for a 911 Twin Turbo.

I :censored: hate care stealerships and their ' :censored: the customer at any cost' mentality.

The GT500 and the KR were meant for the 'working class' enthusiast.

I don't know about you, but I don't know any "working class" enthisiasts that can afford a $70K + vehicle! That will be the ballpark MSRP on the KR.

And if it was being built for the "working class" then Ford wouldn't be limiting these to only a 1,000 units. They would be building as many of these as they are the GT500.

Ya gotta just laugh at some of these car hustlers. Why is he pitching you the KR if Mr. Megga Lottery Winner Multi Millionaire will buy the car for 125 grand over? Nothing odd about that story. You don't think he might be exagerating or even lying do ya? Naaaaaaah!

It is BS or they are incredibly stupid.

If they were offered $125K ADM they would have gotten a deposit from the buyer and anyone asking about it would have just been told their KR is sold!

Gee, let me think. MSRP + $125K offer for a KR. Nah, first let me see if anyone else is willing to offer more. NOT! They would have taken his deposit in a New York second and they would have been doing back flips after the customer left!

It is BS or they are incredibly stupid.

If they were offered $125K ADM they would have gotten a deposit from the buyer and anyone asking about it would have just been told their KR is sold!

Gee, let me think. MSRP + $125K offer for a KR. Nah, first let me see if anyone else is willing to offer more. NOT! They would have taken his deposit in a New York second and they would have been doing back flips after the customer left!

Picture this... You wake up the morning after, and realize that you just dropped 200 grand on a GT500. A KR, yes, but still a GT500. Talk about buyer's remorse!

I love the look of this car, and it's heritage, but not at that price...

if you have to ask you cant afford it. how about an Aveo?

:happy feet:

I got you beat in the wheel department,Shitbox back and forth car is an 89 Festiva,40 MPG and rollin' on one two's.I'm in golf cart terrritory!

The salesman said they are fighting with Ford to get an allocation. They claim to be 1 of the top 10 Ford dealerships, Apple Ford, Columbia MD. I had my GT500 delivered there thru a VIP agreement.

In other words the DO NOT HAVE A CAR for sale then? :hysterical2:

They are WISHING and Fishing for a deposit :hysterical:

So it does not matter how much they sell it for because they have nothing to sale :finger:

So if somebody really wants one I DO have one for :happy feet: SELL :happy feet:

And it is a real allocation :hysterical:

Archived