TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much will I pay for 500KR?

My wife tells me it's never a good idea to fall for a car, she is right, but I cannot help it. The 500KR is the one I've been waiting for....million dollar question is how much will the KR actually cost? Someone posted they are paying $40k over sticker - wow, wish I had your bank roll. Is this going to be a car only the wealthy can afford? Should I give up the dream now and not waste my time?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife tells me it's never a good idea to fall for a car, she is right, but I cannot help it. The 500KR is the one I've been waiting for....million dollar question is how much will the KR actually cost? Someone posted they are paying $40k over sticker - wow, wish I had your bank roll. Is this going to be a car only the wealthy can afford? Should I give up the dream now and not waste my time?

If you can't afford it, dream baby DREAM. Or give it time, parts will be available to make your own, sooner or later.

Well, a guess is a guess. My guess is an MSRP somewhere in the mid 50s...let's say $55k. Then, I think the ADMs will be higher than what's been on the GT500...so add another $30-40k. So my GUESS would be $85k-$90k. Add taxes and you're near six digits.

Dave

I'm afraid so

2007 gt500 sold in the bay area for as much as 125.000 and they made about 10,000 of them.

the KR well since they are only going to produce 1,000 of them then even if You had the bank the chances of You getting one are slim at best. Once the dealers who will be lucky to get one, I am not to sure they would be willing to sell it at any price.

Remember that they are only going to build 1,000 of these in the USA.

Ron Pratt has bought every thing that is highly collectible. I am sure that he has first dib's on the first one. so only 999 left.

and He probably has the option to buy the next one at sticker only 998 left.

My guess is a $100K will be on the low end. Some dealers are already wanting $130K and I heard Galpin Ford wants $170K for theirs.

With only 1,000 to be built the premiums will be extremely high and only the wealthy will be getting them.

Buy a GT500. You are only talking 40HP difference. You can add over a 100HP to that for $1200 and buy a hood that looks like the KR hood for about $1,200 and you can buy the wheels as well.

For less than $10K you can make a GT500 look just like a KR and have over 60HP more to boot!

My guess is a $100K will be on the low end. Some dealers are already wanting $130K and I heard Galpin Ford wants $170K for theirs.

With only 1,000 to be built the premiums will be extremely high and only the wealthy will be getting them.

Buy a GT500. You are only talking 40HP difference. You can add over a 100HP to that for $1200 and buy a hood that looks like the KR hood for about $1,200 and you can buy the wheels as well.

For less than $10K you can make a GT500 look just like a KR and have over 60HP more to boot!

Great advice and thank you all for replying. I know this issues has been discussed at length.

Good advice, but...... Much like taking a Mustang and making it into a GT500, it looks great, is fast but it's still a Mustang GT that you've invested too much $$ into. No disrespect meant to anyone that has done this. I too want a KR and have a deposit down on one........if I can afford it. If I cannot then I keep the GT500 and do ?? to it but I won't try to make it look like a KR unless it's a SS. Hell I won't even wear a Boss 302/429 shirt because I don't have one. ;)

While I could afford to pay the high dollar amounts we are talking about, I won't do it. I'd pay sticker, no problem, but I cannot justify the extra $$ above sticker. I'd consider 5k-10k, but anything over 10k seems silly....unless you are a collector, please no flames..... I'm somone that wants to actually drive the car on the street and take it to the track. Sounds like the SS might be the best option after all.

There is no way that a thousand people are going to pay 40 or 50 grand over sticker for a Mustang, I don't care if it is touched by hands of God.

Over a 1000 people have paid $30K over sticker for a GT500 so I imagine there are a 1000 that would pay more for a KR

I don't know what MSRP is going to be on this car, but I have had 3 people offer a $100K if we could get them one.

There is no way that a thousand people are going to pay 40 or 50 grand over sticker for a Mustang, I don't care if it is touched by hands of God.

There is one dealer that has been offering $25K over to buy up any KR allocation. Based on what they bought and sold all their GT500's for that would indicate they have buyers willing to pay a minimum of $35K - $40K over or more for KR's.

1,000 people paid $30,000.00 over sticker, Really?

Now exactly how do you know this? Did you sell all of them? How else would you be certain of that price and in those #'s.

BS flag is flying at full staff with that statement.

There are number of dealers that have purchased GT500's from dealers paying $20K over and selling them for $25K - $30K+ over throughout the entire production year.

One dealer in CA sold 3 at $125K each!

With over 10K of these sold so far, it isn't hard to believe that a 1000 of them sold in the $30K over range. Especially in the beginning before they ever hit the lots and during the first 6 months of production. There has been some crazy money spent on these!

Local dealer want's the same but hey he told me I'm first in line. :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

If a GT 500 is @$43K no options , and SAI want $28K for SS conversion ($71K total) , how could ( or why would ) MSRP on the KR be $55K ? The dealers would CERTAINLY PAY $60 K to get one.......what would MSRP be then ?

if you have to ask you cant afford it. how about an Aveo?

:happy feet:

I guess I shouldnt have asked what would the MSRP be then , that wast the point i was trying to make. I was simply saying the KR upgrades done by Shelby will be similar to the SS upgrades . How can the MSRP NOT BE closer to $70K (what it will take to get a SS)

Here is my 2 cents worth and that is your forgetting that the SS is coming with a new $ 6K? supercharger, functional side scoops, new exhaust system from manifold back on 725HP, new 3.73:1 diff, upgraded brakes and possible some suspension parts just to name a few. So you see the SS is different in many ways. I like to think of the KR as being reg GT500 with a cold air intake, new hood, different wheels, some great stuff added to the interior and one heck of a paint scheme. And I too feel in love with the KR would loved to get one but do to thew numbers flying around and even seeing one, I elected to save my money and go for the SS. It's a lot more car for less $$ and as long as they only produce 1000 than I feel I'll have just as rare as a KR with more bang for the buck and heck it's still Shelby. :doh: :snake:

1,000 people paid $30,000.00 over sticker, Really?

Now exactly how do you know this? Did you sell all of them? How else would you be certain of that price and in those #'s.

BS flag is flying at full staff with that statement.

mr nasty strikes again

I guess I shouldnt have asked what would the MSRP be then , that wast the point i was trying to make. I was simply saying the KR upgrades done by Shelby will be similar to the SS upgrades . How can the MSRP NOT BE closer to $70K (what it will take to get a SS)

The upgrades on KR are not that similar to the SS. The KR has the stock GT500 Eaton S/C and less body mods. Both have suspension mods, hoods and Alcoa wheels, etc., tho some other differences too.

Maybe an MSRP of $55k on the KR is a bit low, but there's a big diff betw KR and SS in parts cost and labor. Fwiw, I'd figure the KR MSRP to base betw $57-60 ...plus options could take it near mid-$60s?

Dan

If SAI only does 1000 Super Snakes per model year and the 07's get the 40th badge, makes them just as rare as the KR for less $$. Maybe we will get lucky and SAI won't get a 1000 orders for the SS packages.

I called Shelby Las Vegas today and they said that they are not limiting the number of SS to 1000? It is market demand. They have about 1600 orders (not deposits) if too many SS are built and the parts are available in the aftermarket to convert mustangs and Shelby’s to SS they are not going to hold up in value as much as a KR.

What does every one else think? :waiting:

I called Shelby Las Vegas today and they said that they are not limiting the number of SS to 1000? It is market demand. They have about 1600 orders (not deposits) if too many SS are built and the parts are available in the aftermarket to convert mustangs and Shelby’s to SS they are not going to hold up in value as much as a KR.

What does every one else think? :waiting:

I think this is a "WHAT IF" nightmare

I guess time will see who is right but we had people on this forum making the same arguments to justify the big amounts over MSRP last year and the prices have come down. The old Shelby's were worth money because no one knew at the time they were going to be worth big money, and they were only so limited in production because people back then did have the $$ to pay up for a Shelby, and people were more mechanical, and could make there mustangs just as fast for allot less money.

As for the cobra R I don’t care if it has the Shelby name or not. Name another mustang that had a production of 350 cars. They have held there value but have not increased in price.

The fact of the matter is all those people who bought the cobra R thought at the time that it was the latest and the greatest, and that they wouldn't be building anything faster or more exclusive, just like the people who ponied up over 30k last year for one of the 1st allotments of GT500's.

No car is worth 100% over sticker. My opinion. If you disagree put your money where your mouth is and pay the 100k over sticker. I think the people who wait till the end of the year will get a better deal.

It’s just a false market, all the dealers have priced fixed 50-100k over sticker. When the demand dies down the prices will fall.

Face it people you could buy a 08 gt500 and another 08 Gt500 and have it super snaked for the same money as a KR.

It is just plain stupid hysterical2.gif

The upgrades on KR are not that similar to the SS. The KR has the stock GT500 Eaton S/C and less body mods. Both have suspension mods, hoods and Alcoa wheels, etc., tho some other differences too.

Maybe an MSRP of $55k on the KR is a bit low, but there's a big diff betw KR and SS in parts cost and labor. Fwiw, I'd figure the KR MSRP to base betw $57-60 ...plus options could take it near mid-$60s?

Dan

You are looking at about $9,800 on the Shelby GT Coupe for 08. The KR will likely be a lot more. Also, isn't the hood on the KR going to be a carbon fiber hood? If so, that alone is going to cost some big bucks.

I bet that package will be in the $18K - $25K range. So I bet MSRP will fall in the $65K - $72K range and that is assuming Ford doesn't add anything to their base pricing on the KR.

You are looking at about $9,800 on the Shelby GT Coupe for 08. The KR will likely be a lot more. Also, isn't the hood on the KR going to be a carbon fiber hood? If so, that alone is going to cost some big bucks.

I bet that package will be in the $18K - $25K range. So I bet MSRP will fall in the $65K - $72K range and that is assuming Ford doesn't add anything to their base pricing on the KR.

Yo, Dude, how ya been? :)

You may be right if the hood really is shipped as carbon-fiber -- I was assuming that was just a 'concept' attention-getter. If it is CF, then the fenders should be too (not going to happen). Either the car is 'serious' or not. I loath half-serious attempts with big price tags.

Likely MSRP won't matter anyway since I think the collectors will drive the price out of sight. In my value-book, for a big price it better have 1000HP -- seriously -- like the Tasca KR-1000. For $100K it better have 1000HP and CF from the A-pillar forward and come with an all-expenses paid trip to Mecca. Buit at 540HP I don't see the point in paying a huge premium, but maybe that's just me.

I guess what's bugging me is that if it carries the name KR it needs to be a serious piece. My value structure places the GT500 at $38K and the KR at $55K (no flames, please ...just my personal value points -- what they're worth to me ...even when I had a lot more money to spend than I do now I'd never pay over MSRP, or even near it, for any ride).

ADMs are funny things. In rural NY/NE, I have honestly not talked to one dealer who has actually sold a GT500 over 10K ADM ...most were 5K, one 10K [tiny dealer trans-ship], one $2K, one MSRP, our local dealer [biggest in the area] got 8-units in '07 and sold all $5K ...but you had to be on their list VERY early or it went to someone else. I had first refusal on unit#1 and declined at $5K over (ADM wasn't set until MSRP was announced).

In NYC, Shelby GTs seem to carry a $8-10K ADM (tho I don't know of any that actually sold at that), but in rural areas MSRP-$2K seems more representative.

They all seem to talk big ADMs and act surprised when you tell them what others have sold for, but then when they actually sell they're not getting much ADM on the Shelby GTs. In my value book, the Sheby GT is a nice $30-32K ride. It's a GT with FRP packs at 319HP. I certainly can't see over-MSRP on that (again, just my value).

Another difference I've noticed: small dealers in rural areas seem to view the cars as a liability (protection/storage), but in NYC city (Queens) they stick one out on the street in front of the dealer and let everyone who walks by manhandle the car -- it's nuts! maybe the 'draw' car will sell cheap later and it's worth it to get people in the showroom ...but who'd buy a GT500 for $10K over after it bakes in the sun for months and 5,000 hands have been all over it?

But, I would not be surprised if your KR MSRP is closer than mine.

Well, a guess is a guess. My guess is an MSRP somewhere in the mid 50s...let's say $55k. Then, I think the ADMs will be higher than what's been on the GT500...so add another $30-40k. So my GUESS would be $85k-$90k. Add taxes and you're near six digits.

Dave

Do you really think SAI is going to leave their slice of the pie on the table?

Do you really think SAI is going to leave their slice of the pie on the table?

Blayne, can you clarify your question a bit? I ask that because the bounds of SAI's pie-slice is largely defined by FoMoCo, imo.

I.e. initially, my understanding is SAI could not sell any Shelby-labeled Ford cars directly -- only thru Ford (e.g the twists and turns of the Shelby CS6).

Now they apparently can do so but likely within well-defined bounds. So I suspect (dunno any details) that SAI can 'compete' wiith Ford using Ford's products as a base only within negotiated contractual bounds which I suspect essentially define their slice of pie, yes?

its not gods hand that touched it ... it was carrolls .... and yes ... they will flock to buy it

This car is a true limited collectors item and the wealthy car nuts will drive the price up to where those who could afford the GT500 wont be able to afford the KR

I truly believe the majority of these cars will go in excess of $100,000 +

Archived