TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Compression Test 17 GT350, 17k miles

Hello gents, 

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, if it is not i apologize.

My 2017 recently shut off on me while driving, no bang, no knock, just shut off. I verified fuel, spark successfully. next i bought a compression gauge and conducted a compression test and my results have me scratching my head. Across both banks on all cylinders I am getting 30psi which has me very confused. I understand that my engine will probably have to be replaced, and I will have to pay for it out of pocket because mods voided the warranty. I do not have oil/coolant mixing anywhere.

My question is, how is this possible? May i possibly be doing something wrong while conducting the test? Any type of recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Juan G.

What mods did you make to the engine?  Don't give up on warranty.  In order to decline warranty Ford will have to show that your mod is the leading factor to the failure.  The local dealer will of course do everything they can to get you to believe that but don't give up until the district guy concurs.

Well heres the kicker. I bought the car with 4500miles on it. the car was already modified when i bought it, procharged.

Now the delearship knew it was modded and they sold me an additional warranty to cover whatever the the factory one wouldnt. now both are telling me to fly a kite.

both warranty companies, and the dealership that sold me the car. 

Well, if you'd said anything but a supercharger...      There's a reason Ford doesn't have a Ford Racing supercharger for the Voodoo.  Good luck. 

But from your description it doesn't sound like that's the problem.   Not firing is something more basic.  Is it at a dealer?  I assume they've checked for any pending check engine codes (it didn't come on did it?)

Edited by twobjshelbys

2 hours ago, JPG350 said:

It was brand new. I tested an old truck engine i have and got 120psi on it

Ok, usually low compression on all cylinders would indicate a timing belt/timing chain issue or cylinders run completely dry of oil. Is the 30psi the highest reading you got or did it build and then bleed down rather quickly?

and as 2BJShelbys mention.supercharger was a big No No on the Voodoo.

Edited by mhr1961

The 30 Psi is the highest reading i got. The oil level on the car was about a quart low, but that was the usual levels after about a month of driving. meaning I had to add a quart every month.

17 hours ago, JPG350 said:

The 30 Psi is the highest reading i got. The oil level on the car was about a quart low, but that was the usual levels after about a month of driving. meaning I had to add a quart every month.

Here is a source that may be able to help you. It is a site that has gathered a some data about GT350 engine failures. It breaks down the type of failures, etc. that are common to the voodoo. I make no claim in regard to its accuracy, but it may be of some help and it does clarify some of what has been happening with the voodoo engine.

https://overrunautomotive.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/

Tough break. Even though you apparently are hosed in regard to warranty, you may be able to get it to a competent mechanic to at least maybe diagnose the engine somewhat to determine if it is a cracked block, or scope the pistons, determine if head gaskets blown etc, etc.. Unfortunately though, you are probably looking at having to replace the entire engine. If you go the route of buying a new engine, I think you may want to strongly consider leaving the supercharger off the new engine because from the beginning it was never designed to be supercharged. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...