TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th Anniversary Question

Did the 40th Anniversary cars come with a specific suspension setup like the SGT's and KR's? If so, what was it? Are there any other specific OEM parts that were installed on these cars that made them unique and therefore very difficult to find replacement parts for? I am sure the heat extractor mesh covers are on that list.  I am asking because I either plan to buy an SGT/SC, 40th, or GTH next year, and I would am not as familiar with 40th cars as I am the SGT's & GTH's.  I really love the look of the 40th, and it would be something totally different type of car than what I already got.

Not sure but I think that was an appearance package but I could be wrong. Owning a GT/SC did get the suspension upgrade which is ok but not great

On Tuesday, May 05, 2020 at 9:04 AM, Shelby1981 said:

Did the 40th Anniversary cars come with a specific suspension setup like the SGT's and KR's? If so, what was it? Are there any other specific OEM parts that were installed on these cars that made them unique and therefore very difficult to find replacement parts for? I am sure the heat extractor mesh covers are on that list.  I am asking because I either plan to buy an SGT/SC, 40th, or GTH next year, and I would am not as familiar with 40th cars as I am the SGT's & GTH's.  I really love the look of the 40th, and it would be something totally different type of car than what I already got.

From an old press release:

The 40th Anniversary Limited Edition package includes a host of components to let others know that something special is prowling the streets. On the menacing outside components include carbon fiber lower front fascia splitter and mirror covers; aluminum hood grille inserts; deck lid SHELBY letter kit; sequential tail lamps; front and rear brake duct kits; Anniversary stripe package (convertible models); special optional 20” American Racing Shelby Razor wheels and various 40th Anniversary badging including side, grille and trunk badges.

Inside there is a consecutively numbered dash plaque, special 40th Anniversary Shelby door sill plates with consecutive number; floor mats; Shelby snake door handles; center dash mounted gauge cluster with three Carroll Shelby/Autometer carbon fiber gauges (boost, oil and fuel pressure); 40th Anniversary arm rest cover and for convertibles a light bar with solenoid activated light system.

The engine bay receives a consecutive number plate authenticating the package and installation from SAI and special billet aluminum caps and covers for power steering, radiator, brake master cylinder, windshield washer fluid bottle and oil dip stick.

BACKING IT UP:

With 500 horsepower out of the gate, the Shelby GT500 can run like no other pony that ever grazed a field. The 40th Anniversary Package ups the ante with additional power by utilizing the Shelby Signature Borla exhaust system. The cat-back system is designed to maximize power and give a nice robust “big-block” sound.

Getting the power to the ground is one thing. Being able to utilize what you want when going into the corners is another. One key element to the 40th Anniversary package is the new Shelby/Eibach suspension upgrade for GT500. This new coil over systems allows for adjustability for both straight line and road course tracks. The new spring/shock combination lowers the front a maximum of 0.8-inch and the rear 1.6-inches for a very aggressive appearance and lower center of gravity. In addition bigger anti-way bars are included for reduced body roll. The result is flat precise cornering without a harsh ride.

“We have designed the 40th Anniversary to honor the special legacy of the GT500 and provide a limited few a very special car,” said Boylan. “This limited edition package is only the first for the mod shop and the first upgrades from SAI for the GT500. There is much more to come.”

Available in the first quarter of 2007, the 40th Anniversary Limited Edition will be sold exclusively through Shelby Automobiles Las Vegas headquarters and a national dealer network.

Edited by mhr1961

Here is some info. from an original spec. card.........

004.jpg

003.jpg

It appears, unlike the Super Snake that had the Blue Ford Racing non-adjustable suspension as standard install,  that the Shelby/Eibach coil overs and Red sway bars were standard install on the 40th. The Shelby/Eibach was a $100 upgrade over the standard FRPP suspension on the Super Snake back in the early days, to me, for $100 it was a no-brainer to choose the Eibach adj. suspension over FRPP non-adjustable.........Now the Eibach coil over option is $1000 on the Super Snake.

R

Edited by Robert M

Thank you for the information Robert.

SNKBITE - Beautiful car! On your Shelby Paperwork, did they provide you with part numbers for the Suspension Parts (Eibach Coil Over Suspension and Sway Bar Kit)?  

If I remember correctly, the GT500 is Eibach 35115. In the past I have seen the 35105 Eibach kit listed as "Super Snake", like on eBay, etc, but I am pretty sure it is 35115. It is the spring rates that are different, I believe the 35101 is Mustang GT?

It is the Eibach Pro Street-S kit that was installed "back in the day".....

R

Edited by Robert M

This is the kit that rings a bell in my mind.......for my 2008 Coupe.......

https://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/35115.711/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99OFkMal6QIVTODICh0Ewg4oEAQYBSABEgJ4B_D_BwE

^^^^I do not see this kit listed anymore on the Eibach site, when do a quick search.

R

Edited by Robert M

Here is another "Blast from the past" piece of Shelby documentation showing the same Eibach kit second from the bottom on right. It looks like the price has gone up by $500 or so since it was available through SPP.........

017.jpg

I am sure that the kit that Shelby installed on my 2008 Super Snake is the 35115-711

Also keep in mind that the rear shocks are not spring wrapped as shown in the Eibach picture, the springs sit on an adjuster that sits on the original coil spring perch and the shocks are Black and install in the oem shock location separate from the adjustable coil springs.

R

Edited by Robert M

The closest picture I have of a Eibach sway bar is the rear on my car, I am not able to make out what the part number is, but this is what it looks like.......

023-1-zpsd0dea3de.jpg

Also note that the earlier cars had a Blue Granatelli adjustable panhard bar, later Shelby went to the BMR adjustable. In the picture above, a Granatelli panhard relocation bracket is also installed so that the PHB would clear the 8.8 Shelby girdle/cover.

R

Edited by Robert M

Here is another picture, this was taken before I de-rusted/restored my 8.8 as shown in the post above. The picture below shows the Black Eibach rear shock to the left and then the Red spring in it's oem location to the right of the shock, and the adjustable perch is not really visible, but in the picture below the spring is on top of the adjustable perch....This was also before the Shelby girdle/cover was installed so the Granatelli PHB is in the original mounting location........

Picture1943-2.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

Thank you so much for all of the information and the detailed pictures.  I ABSOLUTELY love that piece of Shelby documentation.  Look at the price of those Alcoa wheels! I know that is in 2008 money, but even with inflation they are sure a lot more valuable than that now. 

5 hours ago, Shelby1981 said:

Thank you so much for all of the information and the detailed pictures.  I ABSOLUTELY love that piece of Shelby documentation.  Look at the price of those Alcoa wheels! I know that is in 2008 money, but even with inflation they are sure a lot more valuable than that now. 

I was thinking about the 40th when I looked at the spec. card I added in a post above........and then thinking what the parts costs would be "if" you could find all of them now, maybe some NOS, but probably most used. The replacement parts cost of the discontinued/obsolete parts that were original installed on the 40th could get to be quite high, maybe not to the original cost of the package? but definitely a costly venture to buy the parts all over again, and especially if the parts could be found New Old Stock.....

Here is some other information that I added to a GT500 forum a few years ago when the Shelby/Eibach coilovers were being discussed...............and what to look for when shopping, especially now when it appears that Ebach no longer sells the correct coilover kit.......

-------------------------------------------------From GT500.com a few years ago when I was searching for a spare "correct" set of Eibach coilovers for my 2008 Super Snake...........

A person who is looking at this Eibach Pro Street-S coil-over adjustable suspension also needs to be aware of some differences. When I was searching for a spare "correct" Eibach coil-over set for my Super Snake I found both of the Front and Rear Eibach Pro Street-S coil-over springs shown below advertised as "Super Snake".............

Front......

003_zps91faa054.jpg

Rear......

004_zps9fd54aa3.jpg

The "correct" GT500 Super Snake Eibach 35115 coil-over springs are shown below......

Front.........

001_zps67001753.jpg

Rear.........

007_zps5703a6fd.jpg

The "incorrect" (NOT GT500 Super Snake) Eibach 35101 coil-over springs are shown below........

Front.......

002_zps21985d1d.jpg

Rear.......

006_zps685cc6c2.jpg

The bottom springs are smaller coil and lighter weight, the upper springs are larger coils front and rear and designed for the weight of a GT500, don't get fooled into purchasing the 35101 Eibach set because they are "Eibach coil-overs" and advertised as "GT500 Super Snake".

Thankfully, when I bought the incorrect 35101 set "advertised" as Super Snake (and got them at a Great price), when I opened the box for inspection I knew that they looked different, especially the design of the rear coil springs. When I compared what Shelby had installed on my car and saw the 35115 part numbers and then compared coil diameters, I knew these were not what they were advertised to be and sent them back, but not before I found a correct spare 35115 set for a side-by-side out of car comparison for future discussions.

R

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:20 AM, Shelby1981 said:

Thank you for the information Robert.

SNKBITE - Beautiful car! On your Shelby Paperwork, did they provide you with part numbers for the Suspension Parts (Eibach Coil Over Suspension and Sway Bar Kit)?  

Thank you, and they did provide a "build sheet" as it were, but it is stored away and very hard to get to right now.

I do have the original Shelby/Eibach sway bar box, but it is flattened and laying on the floor under a scaffolding that has boxed project parts on it, I can see the Yellow Shelby label on the box end, but unless I unload the items from under that scaffolding, I will not be able to see the Shelby label.......I looked last night.

R

7 hours ago, Shelby1981 said:

I agree, and the Alcoa's shown in that flyer are the "sold to the public" Alcoa's through Shelby Performance Parts, not the Super Snake production Alcoa's that are engraved "SUPER SNAKE".

R