TEAM SHELBY FORUM

IS SA's new Supersnake GT500 really a GT500?

This is a post that most know but don't comment on. SA's GT500 is really not the GT500 Supersnake that they used to make. The new SS is based off a Mustang GT chassis and 5.0 engine with a SC. A brand new 2020 GT500 that uses a "hand built 5.2 liter cross-plane crankshaft variant of the voodoo engine with an especially made chassis based on the GT350. Both of the FORD Shelby GT350 and GT500 are fitted with Fords Carbon Fiber front subframe which is 100% different than the subframe of the GT Mustang which SA bases their GT500 Supersnake on.

My question is this: Which one would you rather have a brand new FORD GT500 with a 5.2 or a Shelby American branded Supersnake with the 5.0?

3 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

This is a post that most know but don't comment on. SAI's GT500 is really not the GT500 Supersnake that they used to make. The new SS is based off a Mustang GT chassis and 5.0 engine with a SC. A brand new 2020 GT500 that uses a "hand built 5.2 liter cross-plane crankshaft variant of the voodoo engine with an especially made chassis based on the GT350. Both of the FORD Shelby GT350 and GT500 are fitted with Fords Carbon Fiber front subframe which is 100% different than the subframe of the GT Mustang which SA bases their GT500 Supersnake on.

My question is this: Which one would you rather have a brand new FORD GT500 with a 5.2 or a Shelby American branded Supersnake with the 5.0?

You are labeling the 2020 Supersnake something that it is not. Shelby doesn’t make a 2020 GT500 Supersnake, they make a Shelby Supersnake and yes it uses the 5.0 CPC Mustang as a base and they are not trying to present it as a “GT500”.  If they were making a GT500 Supersnake out of the Ford Shelby GT500 with the 5.2 CPC then they would likely call it a GT500 Supersnake....however they currently are not making such a car.

I like both vehicles but wouldn't buy either the Shelby Supersnake or the Ford Shelby GT500........ I would buy a 2020 Shelby GT.

2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

You are labeling the 2020 Supersnake something that it is not. Shelby doesn’t make a 2020 GT500 Supersnake, they make a Shelby Supersnake and yes it uses the 5.0 CPC Mustang as a base and they are not trying to present it as a “GT500”.  If they were making a GT500 Supersnake out of the Ford Shelby GT500 with the 5.2 CPC then they would likely call it a GT500 Supersnake....however they currently are not making such a car.

I like both vehicles but wouldn't buy either the Shelby Supersnake or the Ford Shelby GT500........ I would buy a 2020 Shelby GT.

Exactly. And Carroll would be rolling in his grave! There used to be a huge difference between a shelby supersnake and a shelby GT, now it is just salesmanship.

Edited by SWEDEMAN

10 minutes ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Exactly. And Carroll would be rolling in his grave! There used to be a huge difference between a shelby supersnake and a shelby GT, now it is just salesmanship.

Very interesting info, the “Dollar” still rules!