TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I want to join Team Shelby

Aaron_Skonning

To anyone who reads this, my name is Aaron Skonning. I am 19 years old and have a dream and a goal, my mother always told me a dream is just a dream without goals. My first dream was to build my own race car in my garage, I am achieving that goal as your reading this. When I was 17 years old I bought my very own mustang for $300. It was a 2000 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 with a 5 speed manual transmission, now as a teenager I was battling to finish high school and build this car. I was never book smart but the only thing that I knew I was good at was to turn wrench’s and race. I rebuilt that whole car by myself in less than 3 months. And within that time span I was about to graduate high school. I accomplished that goal but I had another goal and that goal was to go work for Ford. Out here in Tampa, Florida I went to Veterans Ford and took my car that I built and showed the hiring manger what I was capable of doing. I was rejected immediately due to my age being 17, I came back almost every month until I turned 18 I received that job I wanted at Ford. I was very persistent and had a goal in front of me and I wanted to achieve that goal. Now when I turned 18 I wanted something more challenging so I sold the car I built and bought a 1999 Mustang GT 4.6L V8 with a 5 speed manual transmission. After 500 miles of owning it had a rod knock and I had to put it in my garage and start rebuilding it. If I have learned anything in building cars is that every car is different, it feels like each car has its own personality. I began to learn that this car was a fighter as well as me. Since I am currently rebuilding the car I decided to achieve the other dream I had in my bucket list. To make the fastest 4.6L 2V anyone has ever seen, I wanted to make an exact replica of the 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R. Only 300 of these cars were made by special vehicle team. I can’t stress enough how much time and money I am putting into this car. But I know that in building this car it will help me achieve the other goals and dreams I have ahead of me. I want to use this build to get into the Shelby American team and race as did Carroll Shelby. I have a huge passion for cars and racing because just those few seconds in those high speeds your free. Carroll Shelby once said that he’s father told him “ it’s a truly lucky man who knows what he wants to do in this world because that man will never work a day in his life.” Me personally I have never worked a day in my life because this what I want to do in my life. I want to race, I want to build the fastest mustang in my own design. And I know if I can join and be recruited into the Team Shelby I can achieve that dream. But with all dreams there has to be goals and within those goals there are steps. I know that this is the first step.