TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with my Series 1

badboss429

Hello everyone, I believe this may be one of my first posts on this forum and hoping someone can offer some assistance with my Series 1 with only 444 miles.  The engine spins up but will not fire.  With a little carb cleaner sprayed into the intake I am able to momentarily get the engine to fire so I'm assuming the ignition is not the problem.  When I turn the key I do not hear the fuel pump run, checked the pump fuse and relay and they appear OK.  I'm am assuming the fuel pump may be the problem.  Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is located?  If in the fuel tank, do I reach the pump from the top under the filler lid?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Well, Shelby doesn't acknowledge much about the Series 1 these days.   You can try to call Shelby American and if you're REALLY lucky by being really friendly and offering huge bribes you might get directed to Gary Patterson.  Not only is Gary CEO of Shelby American but he is also a Series 1 owner.

If that doesn't work you can try Steven Becker at https://www.beckerautogroup.com/ he also has lots of Series 1 experience and knowledge. 

Of course you know that the chances of getting through to anyone while on Coronavirus lockdown is slim. Shelby is in Vegas so I can tell you noone is there.  Becker is his own company so you have a chance of reaching him.

The engine itself is an Oldsmobile Aurora, so engine servicing should be readily available at GM dealerships. 

Just to be sure, you should have done the standard engine troubleshooing.  To get it to run you need air, fuel and spark.   Have you pulled one of the spark plugs and grounded it to the engine to see if you have spark?  

Good Luck!

PS.  Congratulations on your purchase.  They are great looking and performing cars.

Edited by twobjshelbys

PS.  There is a Series 1 subforum, here:

https://www.teamshelby.com/forum/160-series-1/

Perhaps a moderator can move this topic there.

PPS.  I also see that you're almost a founding member having posted about your (I assume) previous car in 2006.  As a CSX5xxx owner I think you should be familiar with Becker since as I recall it was he who finished them off.  The difference being is that I recall the CSX5xxx cars used a Ford power train.

Edited by twobjshelbys

I was there that day in Texas at the Texas Motor Speedway when they first unveiled the Shelby Series 1 and that is when I met Gary Patterson and then short afterwards I met Mr. Shelby himself, however my highlight of that day was being in the modified Series 1 and racing around the road circuit and oh by the way my driver, Bob Bondurant! and holy shit he could still drive as great as he could back in the 60's!

Most cars in the late 1990's used a universal type fuel pump that fits many different models. Also, if you look online for them, tere are several recently sold Shelby series 1 sales  where they advertise new fuel pumps fitted before the car was recently sold, so that would indicate they are still readily available. My guess is that once the OP gets in contact with SAI or pulls the fuel pump himself,  he is probably going to find out that it is some kind of standard JDM, AC Declo, Fomoco,etc type unit not some exotic rare part that needs to be 3D printed.

Edited by mhr1961
spelling

51 minutes ago, mhr1961 said:

Most cars in the late 1990 use a universal type fuel pump that fits many different models. Also if you look online for there are several recently sold Shelby series 1 sales  where they advertise new fuel pumps fitted before the car was recently sold, so that would indicate they are still readily available. My guess is that once the OP gets in contact with SAI or pulls the fuel pump himself,  he is probably going to find out that it is some kind of standard JDM, AC Declo, Fomoco,etc type unit not some exotic rare part that needs to be 3D printed.

Yep, I thought I was posting on his other HELP Thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mounted on top of the fuel tank. You should be able to see and reach it threw the rear plate hole or access from under.

Parts and service is available for the Series 1 thru Shelby America. Requests assistance and inform them to contact Wingard if they are not aware.