TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dyno #s question

Hogan-20

Hey guys,

New here, got my first Shelby gt500 last fall, it’s still in winter storage.  It will be coming out soon and sent immediately to a dyno. It’s a 2013 with 20,000 Kms and it has a cold air intake, throttle body, off-road x pipe and a upper pulley I believe. It came with this already on it so I’m not sure what brands. Anyway just talking to the dyno guy and he told me these cars can’t really make over 600 rwhp safely without a full motor build. He definitely knows more about cars then I do, and I know your suppose to listen to your tuner... but does that seem low? Isn’t 600rwhp basically stock #s on these cars?  Iv got the mod bug big time, but I feel unless I spend the money to get the thing built, any part I buy for the car will be basically useless if I can’t increase power. At the end of the day though, the thing is still really quick and if I can’t mod my engine I’m just going to play with my suspension so its not to bad, I’m just curious. I thought I’d be able to get at least 650rwhp out of it..  also this is my first post, Hoping I posted it in the right area... thanks guys 👍

2 hours ago, carnut12 said:

Welcome to the forum, I do not have a 2013, but based on my knowledge the person you are talking too has no idea what they are talking about......I would move on.

+1.

Welcome, OP!  I've owned my 2013 since I drove it off the showroom floor in late-2012. There are a lot of variables involved (e.g., tune, tuner, fuel, driving style, ambient conditions, etc).  In general, however, Trinity internals are good up to ~750RWHP.  Mine remained stock until 2017 (~19K miles), when I added the "usual" bolt-ons (i.e., JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, and NGK TR7-IX plugs) and a custom dyno tune. Those upgrades took me to 733 RWHP & 713 RWTQ (SAE-corrected). I've logged over 10K more miles, including multiple (1/2 mile drag) passes at the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack, with ZERO problems.

Dyno (vs RPM) STAGE 4 Power Pack.jpeg

Thanks fellas.....  733rwhp sounds like a hell of a ride!  I should also add in that I can only run 91 pump gas, I don’t have access to e85 or anything higher octane where I live... he says it’s a very conservative tune and more or less for safety purposes so something doesn’t go bang because of the crappy fuel we have. I just don’t understand how building my engine would really help me see 650 rwhp or 700 rwhp because I’m still going to be running that 91 octane pump fuel 🤔 I don’t know I have a lot to learn yet I suppose. 

Your " dyno guy " is trying to take advantage of your limited knowledge, find another shop. 91 octane will be a limiting factor, I would get the car dyno'd with what you currently have to know what you're starting with. My 14 made 585 stock on a DynoJet just for comparison. With your crappy gas, I would stay away from " canned " tunes, find a shop & with with / thru them on mods, it will be safer........Good luck.