TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replace Spoiler / Panel

What year/model?

Check out www.fordparts.com.  That will give you a good idea of availability and price.  Then check out Tasca's online part siite.  They don't list every part number but can get them.  The Tasca price is almost always less than the local dealer price except for some very large parts that are shipped by size rather than weight, and regrettably, the spoiler;s length might put it in that category.  The shipping can exceed the difference in cost where buying it from the local dealer whose price might be higher but that has no shipping charge since the parts are delivered by consolidated carrier that makes bulk deliveries.

Edited by twobjshelbys

13 hours ago, jguyer said:

Debris took a bite out of my front spoiler. Officially called a Panel 7R3Z-17626-AB. Looks like it should be easy to replace.

Has anyone done this? Any pitfalls to lookout for?

By the 7R3Z part number prefix I am guessing that this is for a 2007-2009? The remove and replace is pretty straight forward, shown below are the Super Snake and GT500KR  carbon fiber front splitters, the smaller Super Snake splitter is what will closest resemble your oem plastic splitter. There are fasteners that attach the splitter to the bottom of the front bumper cover and a couple of fasteners that attach the splitter inside the front fender well on each side. By turning the wheel inward you should be able to get to the fasteners in the fender are without taking off the tire, but it requires a stubby Phillips screw driver or a Phillips bit in a short 1/4" socket.

003-zpstqi9piwj.jpg

004-zpsyixolib6.jpg

I am not sure if the fastener shown below is oem, but this type of fastener is holding on my 2008 Super Snake splitter for the full length and now a GT500KR splitter on my Super Snake, they have a torx head.....

013.jpg

The oem Ford splitter fasteners may be a hex head, IDK?

R

Edited by Robert M

4 hours ago, Robert M said:

By the 7R3Z part number prefix I am guessing that this is for a 2007-2009? The remove and replace is pretty straight forward, shown below are the Super Snake and GT500KR  carbon fiber front splitters, the smaller Super Snake splitter is what will closest resemble your oem plastic splitter. There are fasteners that attach the splitter to the bottom of the front bumper cover and a couple of fasteners that attach the splitter inside the front fender well on each side. By turning the wheel inward you should be able to get to the fasteners in the fender are without taking off the tire, but it requires a stubby Phillips screw driver or a Phillips bit in a short 1/4" socket.

003-zpstqi9piwj.jpg

I am not sure if the fastener shown below is oem, but this type of fastener is holding on my 2008 Super Snake splitter for the full length and now a GT500KR splitter on my Super Snake, they have a torx head.....

The oem Ford splitter fasteners may be a hex head, IDK?

R

Thanks for the information. Looks like something I can handle.

John

3 hours ago, TexasShelby said:

YouTube has a decent video of some guys doing it in his driveway... It's pretty straight forward. Easiest would be with a lift and a second set of hands.

Tried searching YouTube, found a few that were close, look similar to what Robert M described.

5 hours ago, jguyer said:

Yes, it is pretty straight forward, it would help to have the car up a little bit in the front for ease of access to the screws and a helping hand to assist in holding the new splitter in place whiele attaching the many fasteners.

I am not sure about those torx fasteners on my Super Snake splitter either, but that is what was used by Shelby for the CF splitter install back in early 2009, if they were changed from oem?

R

13 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

My FGT splitter used Torx.  I suspect these days all fasteners in that kind of application are since they can be machine inserted with torque.

Thanks for that info. I saw the Black heads and knew that they were not just generic torx fasteners pulled out of a bulk box at Shelby, but I have never seen the oem splitter installed on my GT500, so I did not want to say they were oem install fasteners.

A few months ago some of the members on SVTPerf.com were commenting how wimpy those torx fasteners look............they apparently do the job that is required of them.

R

Edited by Robert M